1st time BsAs traveler looking for medical insurance

smurgy

Registered
I will be moving to BsAs for 2 months starting early November 2010 and am looking for medical insurance providers. I got a quote from Swiss Medical, but unfortunately, they only offer coverage for 6 month minimum. I tried contacting Medicus and OSDE, based on suggestions from members of this community, but no one has responded to my emailed requests. Please let me know if you have been successful in finding decent health coverage for 2 months and the contact for that insurance provider. Thanks.

If you know that you will only be in Bs As for two months wouldn't it be easier (and possibly cheaper) simply to extend your regular health insurance at home to cover an overseas trip or to buy good travel insurance?

I agree with el hombre, but even so, if something traumatic should happen while here, God forbid, you could just go to a public hospital. The chances aren't huge that something serious would happen during 2 months. And the public hospitals are very good in case of emergency.

I don't think that you'll be able to get coverage for less than 6 months -- especially since for many procedures you're required to be a customer for 6 months before coverage activates...

You may be best off to get a tourist insurance or better yet, get coverage from your credit card. And yes, as previous poster said, it's often just possible to extend your home coverage and avoid the tourist plan.

Also, if your regular plan back home (assuming U.S.) does not work for you, there are specific travel insurance plans (Through US Healthcare for example) that are quite affordable, but of course always depends on your needs, and what you feel comfortable with.

look on lonelyplanet.com - they use to do good deals on travel insurance with a partner of theirs

These guys do it for about US$180 for 2 months..

http://www.worldnomads.com

Check out your local travel agent, and also your bank..
If there is a problem, and you do need to claim is always easier to have someone you know to back you up..

Back