200 Years

brocolliandtea

Registered
I just went past 9 de Julio where apparently they are installing a large walk through of 200 years of history.

Will they mention the 6 military coups in 50 years? The brutal over two decade oppression of Rosas? Will they mention that Peron studied in Nazi Germany? That Peron admired the Fascists? That Argentina didnt join the Allied fight against this expansive Fascism until the final days of the war when victory was assured? And, I wonder if there will be any display on the airplane death flight?

Lastly, what will they be celebrating anyway? Lost opportunity? A mix of arrogance, violence and poverty? I find I know more than the average Argentine, with his 4 hours of schooling per day, about their history. If the 9 de Julio display was historically accurate, I think most people would be seen exiting in tears.

Happy 200 years? Lets just get it over with and move on to the next crisis. I hope its a peaceful day and no one dies.

ouah such an arrogance!!! and why the USA celebrated 200 years? for slavery, racism, discrimination, atomic bomb, killings of civilians in vietnam, genocide of indians, supporting anti-democratic regime in South America (e.g. chilie), Africa and middle east, the list goes on and on. the same goes for many other countries like France, although France was celebrating 200 years of revolution!!!!
so your point is? what you wrote is really disrespectful, and it is none of your business if and what they like to celebrate.

brocolliandtea said:
I just went past 9 de Julio where apparently they are installing a large walk through of 200 years of history.

Will they mention the 6 military coups in 50 years? The brutal over two decade oppression of Rosas? Will they mention that Peron studied in Nazi Germany? That Peron admired the Fascists? That Argentina didnt join the Allied fight against this expansive Fascism until the final days of the war when victory was assured? And, I wonder if there will be any display on the airplane death flight?

Lastly, what will they be celebrating anyway? Lost opportunity? A mix of arrogance, violence and poverty? I find I know more than the average Argentine, with his 4 hours of schooling per day, about their history. If the 9 de Julio display was historically accurate, I think most people would be seen exiting in tears.

I do believe they will be celebrating whatever they choose to celebrate, since it's their bicentennial :p

Usually I do not publish private messages but this one is the best, got a private message from the brocolliandtea.........

brocolliandtea said:
Not sure why you bring up the usa. must be knee jerk reaction or training from an early age.

the usa was a giant step forward for mankind, a nation decided to govern themselves versus the monarchies of europe and open their doors to all. the inventiveness alone of the american people has full the biography of mankind for the past 2 centuries. What has Argentine society given the world but a whore dance and a good laugh?

As an argentine, I am pretty offended about your comment, we can celebrate whatever we want and it's not your bussiness.
We have a complicated history and as a country we have made many mistakes (we still do) but at least we are INDEPENDENT, and that is what we are celebrating.

I guess they just don't share your miserably blinkered view on life in this country.

Unfathomable though you may find it, millions of people like living here, identify with the country, the culture and are proud to call themselves argentine.

They'll be celebrating that I guess. I'll be with them.

The narrow perspective of your post is revealing on several levels. While any country has a list of negative aspects to contribute to history, this weekend will be a celebration of the positive elements of the society, of which there are plenty. If you see none, then that's both your problem and your loss.

If this has been answered in another post, someone please direct me to it; my question to you is, genuinely : what brings you to a place you dislike so much?

No individual is accountable for the actions of others or it's governments involvement. As stated, all nations have a good and dark side. It is the age old story of humanity. It disappoints me to see such arrogance and negativity in this site. Perhaps we can unify and focus on the positive of both Argentina and other countries abroad. I am a US citizen but happen to adore Argetina and its culture and people. I prefer to look for the good and uplifting part that life has to offer. To those who spew darkness and negativity I say that I feel sorry for you and the miserable perspective that you have created for yourself. This post should be your wake up call to happiness. Chose freedom and happiness and liberate yourself.

Back