25% price hike in Subte, colectivos

DeanN

Registered
.... as if moneda problems weren't bad enough - from next week prices will rise on the subte, buses, and trains in Buenos Aires.

In colectivos, fares that used to be $0.90 will jump to $1.10, while $1 fares are now $1.25. The Subte jumps from $0.90 to $1.10.

More coverage:

La Nacion

To be fair, they've held down the cost of subte travel & it will still be reasonable. An absolute steal compared to UK tube prices!
They probably think making it $1.10 means they'll be collecting 10 centavo pieces instead of doling them out.

While I argree with Celia about the comparative prices, I do wonder at the wisdom of their pricing structure.
A one peso charge makes so much more sense than 90 or 110 centivos. If only the collectivos would offer a chargable card like the subte, then there would not only be less change problems, but queueing to get on the busses would also be reduced.

DeanN said:
.... as if moneda problems weren't bad enough - from next week prices will rise on the subte, buses, and trains in Buenos Aires.

In colectivos, fares that used to be $0.90 will jump to $1.10, while $1 fares are now $1.25. The Subte jumps from $0.90 to $1.10.

More coverage:

La Nacion

The purpose of the hikes per the article is to reduce the subsidies paid by the government(i.e. they can't afford them) for public transportation. The problem will be according to the article is that the unions will end up demanding a lot higher wages as a result, possibly wiping out the subsidy reducing benefit to the government. Stay tuned for strikes and other problems in the transportation system.

Stanexpat said:
The purpose of the hikes per the article is to reduce the subsidies paid by the government(i.e. they can't afford them) for public transportation. The problem will be according to the article is that the unions will end up demanding a lot higher wages as a result, possibly wiping out the subsidy reducing benefit to the government. Stay tuned for strikes and other problems in the transportation system.

What difference does it make to you, Stan, now that you have sold out and are probably gone for good?

The worst thing about the price hike is the need for smaller change, and that is far less annoying than having you sticking your finger in our "expats still in BA eyes" every time you have the opportunity to do so.

We who choose to stay here sympathize with your losses, but continue to be willing to risk our own.

Back