26M UK -> Argentina

Impossible to give you advice to be honest. Given your qualifications you're smart enough to figure it out for yourself.

Welcome to the forum. If you currently have a job, try to get a leave of absence for three months. I did that three times before moving here. Live here for a few months, go back and save money, then come here again. Also check out the posts by the member known as Mira Vos, he also is planning to come, but along with his girlfriend has a combined monthly income of around $2k per month so he has gotten a much warmer welcome here. If you can stay with your relatives you should easily be able to get by with under $1k a month and give them a couple of hundred for rent.

I'd suggest looking into teaching English online while looking for something in your degree area, with the value of the USD vs Peso you would probably be earning more from part time online English teaching vs a traditional office job paid in pesos.

I do this for a living, and the market is just flooded with people trying to break into it right now. I have a TEFL cert from the University of Totonto, and over 6 years experience, and it's still tough. The number of openings is far exceeded by the number of desperate newcomers, many of whom have the idea that, "anybody can do it."

It's very much an employer's market, and the companies know it. So this is, in my opinion, a very poor suggestion.

If you want a second opinion, talk to user Vagrant Violet here on this board. She's been doing the EFL thing longer than I have, and is probably a better teacher than I'll ever be.

I do this for a living, and the market is just flooded with people trying to break into it right now. I have a TEFL cert from the University of Totonto, and over 6 years experience, and it's still tough. The number of openings is far exceeded by the number of desperate newcomers, many of whom have the idea that, "anybody can do it."

It's very much an employer's market, and the companies know it. So this is, in my opinion, a very poor suggestion.

If you want a second opinion, talk to user Vagrant Violet here on this board. She's been doing the EFL thing longer than I have, and is probably a better teacher than I'll ever be.
I second that teaching is a poor idea because you would have to firstly be good at it and secondly, pick up a large amount of students in a short amount of time. Considering how many people are already offering teaching, you are unlikely to just find an income within weeks or months.

I have experience of this. When I first came here in 2010, my idea was to teach English and I presumed it would be easy. In fact, I arrived here with $1000, which if I remember was around 3,000 pesos. I thought something like, "use this money to rent for the first month and pick up a thousand English students in my first month, because I must be the only English teacher in Buenos Aires".

Yeah, that soon failed and I had around $100 in my pocket by the end of the first month. I had all the qualifitcations too, the full TEFL stuff, previous experience, etc. Didn't matter. I am not saying it's impossible to develop a career as an English teacher here (I mean, @Redpossum has done it), but it won't happen quickly and there's a chance it won't happen at all if you plan to have a decent standard of living.

And I think this now extends to any career. Unless you have something lined up in Argentina, I would not reccomend anybody come here to look for work. In the current situation, every sector is ultra-competitive.

Then there are those that teach English to Chinese Students online..! Also to Saudi students ..!
Start doing that at home in the UK , find out about orgs. that do this..!
When you have a dozen students can move anywhere in the world

Then there are those that teach English to Chinese Students online..! Also to Saudi students ..!
Start doing that at home in the UK , find out about orgs. that do this..!
When you have a dozen students can move anywhere in the world

Excellent advice Rich One, not only for OP, but also for those already teaching! Here is a link to a company that apparently pays very well. Can not verify if it is legitiment or not. https://teacher.qkids.com/

In almost a year of teaching English I don't think I've taught one Argentinian, I'd definitely not recommend teaching for someone focused solely on the Buenos Aires market.

"Most" ESL Teachers on line are not worth their fee. They do very little if anything beyond a good FREE language partner.

Why pay for what is free?

I know this is not easy (and this might be obvious), but if you can do remote work that would be most ideal. The ability to make USD/Pounds/Euros and freedom to work from where you want is huge. That + making your money in Argentina go further (ie non official rate) are the two financial ways we focusing on (obviously increasing our monthly income also)

Back