3,2,1 - Lets Go! Considering a move to BA

Andrea,

Thanks, I'll check out your site. I totally relate to your idea that we have to 'feel alive'. I moved to San Francisco more than four years ago - and I love it. I'll probably return if I leave. I'm seeking a new adventure abroad for a few years to rekindle that feeling of 'being alive'.

ba_baby

Recoleta Carolina said:
Hi. I am wondering how you would compare Spain to Buenos Aires since you were there for a year and a half. Were you in Madrid? More or less how much would you say that it cost you to live monthly in Spain? Pros and cons? Someone not too long ago described BA as a "low key" Madrid.

I did not live in Madrid or Barcelona but in Granada for about a year and the south is great because there is lot's of history, great weather(you can probally go to the beach about 6 to 8 months a year) and on top of that you can also go skiing about 5 months a year in Granada. Cost of living is about the same in Spain(probally not in Madrid and Barcelona) and Granada is a great city if you are young. Lot's of student, tourist and lot's of party going on. Getting a job is virtual impossible though, it's pretty easy to do a exchange program with your local university or go there to study Spanish

You should be able to rent something nice for about 500 euro's and half probally if you share

I would think that the south is great for about 8 to 12 months, after that it probally getting a bit boring as it does not have the same big city things as in BA

"... Quitting a great job in SF to teach English abroad is no small decision ..."

Sure this is once in a lifetime decision. Simple calculation and u'll end-up spending $23-26K's annually at least. And you said you were a "Healthcare Consultant"? In SF? And you are ready to toss ur "gold mine permit" and challenge urself in totally different country on ur own, without any friend, relative or Affidavit of Support?

What is happened to you, dear?

ba_baby, please factor in the newest visa limitation/requirements for tourist visa. You got the paperwork part right. Visa type is a consideration worth looking into before making the plunge. As steveinbsas said, visit and really have an honest feel of the place, check out the different neighborhoods both at night and daytime, noise is something that you might only hear at night and could affect sleep quality - visit several times for different periods of time before committing. Good luck!

pikto99 said:
"... Quitting a great job in SF to teach English abroad is no small decision ..."

Sure this is once in a lifetime decision. Simple calculation and u'll end-up spending $23-26K's annually at least. And you said you were a "Healthcare Consultant"? In SF? And you are ready to toss ur "gold mine permit" and challenge urself in totally different country on ur own, without any friend, relative or Affidavit of Support?

What is happened to you, dear?

I am sure someone who does that knows he/she can comeback and start over again.

I personally don't think it's a bad choice for lets say 6 months-8 months, a couple of years might be a bit much

I personally wouln't even bother with immigration. You only need to take 2 or 4 trips a year to stay legal. One to the US, one to Colonia and after that you can pick let's say Montevideo, Santiago, Igazu, Rio, Sao Paulo, Lima or Bogota.

Hello Grazie,

Can you tell me more about the visa limitations? I heard that someone from the US could stay 90 days on a tourist visa. Every 90 days, you can take a ferry to Uruguay and renew your visa. Has that rule changed?

ba_baby

No, the penalty for overstaying just went up from around 30 dollars to around 90 dollars(50 or 80 to 300 peso)

ba_baby said:
Hello Grazie,

Can you tell me more about the visa limitations? I heard that someone from the US could stay 90 days on a tourist visa. Every 90 days, you can take a ferry to Uruguay and renew your visa. Has that rule changed?

ba_baby

You can renew once after 90 days at migraciones and then you must leave the country (if only for a day) to stay legal. This process can be repeated as long as migraciones "allows" it. Rules can change at any time, as holders of temporary resident visas expecting an "upgrade" to permanent after three years recently learned.

BlahBlah said:
No, the penalty for overstaying just went up from around 30 dollars to around 90 dollars(50 or 80 to 300 peso)

The recent change was from 50 to 300 pesos. At today's exchange rate, that's an increase from just under 14 to just under 80 dollars.

ba_baby. I think you are wise coming one time before down here, also to find out in which part of town you feel happy. And the renters guarantee, as you said, there's always a way to arrange it. Some owners won't cooperate but others do after a nice talk, i know form experience. Th Argentine rates you spoke about are more or less always for unfurnished places. Feel free to contact me if you need help with it.

Back