3 Strikes Your Out.

My friend has 3 overstay stamps and they almost didn't let him in. In the end, after checking with a superior, they did with a warning. He's concerned that he might not be allowed in next time. any advice?

I think simonmichael was referring to getting a new stamp upon reentry and the trámite is that of applying for "formal" residency. The DNI is issued only after residency is granted.

When applying for temporary or permanent residency migraciones will look for the date of first entry (ever) into Argentina.

If you don't have a "current" 90 day visa (or extension) they will charge the overstay fee even if you are granted a temporary or pemanent resident visa.

If the visa is denied they will charge the overstay fee and give you ten days to leave the country.

Then you can overstay (again) and apply for citizenship (a year after your first entry).

They will grant you a temporary or permanent visa, If the visa is denied they will charge the overstay fee and give you ten days to leave the ocuntry...

What factors do these two possible outcomes depend on??

I recently had a situation where they almost didn´t let me back in because of my two previous overstays. Upon entering in Eze, they interrogatted me and they started talking about deporting me back. Then the officer talked to a superior and the superior allowed me in and said that if I overstay again they will put a 10 year ban on me.

I recently had a situation where they almost didn´t let me back in because of my two previous overstays. Upon entering in Eze, they interrogatted me and they started talking about deporting me back. Then the officer talked to a superior and the superior allowed me in and said that if I overstay again they will put a 10 year ban on me.

What did you say when they were interrogating you? What is your reason for staying and did they find it valid?

What did you say when they were interrogating you? What is your reason for staying and did they find it valid?

I just answered their questions, in fact they didn´t really question me much. They just wanted to make sure I had enough money to live off. Then they went off to check my immigration history. Other than that, they just gave me a hard time for having overstayed and saying "you Americans don´t like illegal immigrants in your country so you shouldn´t expect us to let you in!" That was pretty much it aside from warning me that I shouldn´t do it again.

Thanks Bajo Cero, I think I would like to try that.

I just answered their questions, in fact they didn´t really question me much. They just wanted to make sure I had enough money to live off. Then they went off to check my immigration history. Other than that, they just gave me a hard time for having overstayed and saying "you Americans don´t like illegal immigrants in your country so you shouldn´t expect us to let you in!" That was pretty much it aside from warning me that I shouldn´t do it again.

Thanks Bajo Cero, I think I would like to try that.
They were breaking your balls because you are "American" that's all. They might do it again and again and again............

They were breaking your balls because you are "American" that's all. They might do it again and again and again............

No. The person who was deported last year was American too, but he/she confessed that was working here.

i have a couple of questions...

I currently have paid the over stay fee twice and returned with out incident or warning. Also made one trip to migraciones to pay for the extension.

I am wondering when people say they have over stay stamps in their passport... are the actual stamps different or are you saying that the overstay is marked in your records when they scan your passport. I dont see any difference in my stamps.

Also everyone says you should just apply for residency or citizenship.... as if it is easy. I would prefer to have some sort of permanent status... but from what i read. It's not that easy. Unless i am missing something I can't see how I qualify.

If anyone is willing to give a very basic run down of the easiest ways to become an official resident or where I should look for some clear straightforward information... i am willing to do almost anything reasonable short of having a baby ;)

thanks in advance

In my passport, the stamps are the same, but when overstayed, there is a manual case number written down next to the stamp. One time after my second overstay the immigration officer asked a lot of questions but then gave the stamp anyway. After that I reentered twice w/o problems - I guess it also depends a lot on the mood of the officer...

On a side note, I find it kind of funny that I get charged more for my coffee every month due to inflation, but the overstay fee is still at 300 Pesos...

Back