30-Somethings In Ba?

rebeccag

Registered
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm doing a temporary move for a few months to BA in the Spring from Seattle. I'm a single professional woman (attorney and freelance travel writer) in my mid to late 30s and will be traveling alone. From the limited amount of research I've done thus far, I'm seeing a lot of couples and a lot of 20-somethings. I don't want to feel alone when I'm there and really want to get out and meet people close to my age who I have things in common with. Is there a good community of 30-something women and men expats to meet and hang out with in BA?

Shot answer, yes. It's like any city, the boring marrieds with kids tend to stick to home (like me) and the single 30s and 40s are having the time of their lives.

I assume by spring you mean Spring in North America? Spring in Argentina just started about last week and it will last 10 days more and then we'll be suffering in the humidity and heat. Spring if you mean North American spring can be somewhat soggy time of year here (may-june?) Never as many days in a row of rain as Seattle (or Vancouver, where I'm from) but when it comes down it really comes down hard,

Have a look on fbook I think there are some expat groups that you could join even before you get here.

Hi rebeccag! I'm a single gal, in my 30s and also a lawyer. If you ever want to hang out let me know! Also, if you are going to be in the city, there are tons of social and cultural activities that you can do and meet locals. Don't be bummed by all the couples... there are singles too and we rock. Period. :)

I meant North American Spring/South American Fall - thanks for the reminder that I need to start speaking in terms of the Southern Hemisphere! :) That's great to hear that there will be lots to do and people my age to hang out with. Marive, I would love to meet when I get down to BA - I'll let you know when I have an idea of my exact timeframe. I really want to be there in BA's summer, but that doesn't give me a lot of time to get things wrapped up here. A soggy May/June doesn't sound too appealing, so I may need to rethink my timeframe a bit. What are March and April like in BA?

No offense, but it is conservative and not adventurous to meet expats while in BsAs. Its like traveling around the world and eating in McDonalds, in the sense that you never experience the local food and choose what you already know. I would be much more anthropologist, interact with the locals, try to meet argentine people, get immersed more in the culture. Expats are the same everywhere, like McDonalds.

Expats are the same everywhere?just like Mc Donalds?? Really Matias?? thanks bud you are off the xmas card list :angry: go suck on choripan

Expats are the same everywhere?just like Mc Donalds?? Really Matias?? thanks bud you are off the xmas card list :angry: go suck on choripan

Maybe McDonalds wasnt a good example, I meant that its conservative when you travel to keep with your own costums, people, habits, etc.

I never said that I wasn't going to meet locals. I absolutely would like to do that as well. But my guess is that expats will be great resources for helping me learn my way around BA, especially since I am not fluent in Spanish. I mean, isn't that why we are on this forum in the first place - to bond over shared experiences and learn from each other? And just FYI - the last thing anyone I know would consider me is conservative and not adventurous! I would never go to a country and expect an "Americanized (McDonald's)" experience. What would be the point of going?

No offense, but it is conservative and not adventurous to meet expats while in BsAs. Its like traveling around the world and eating in McDonalds, in the sense that you never experience the local food and choose what you already know. I would be much more anthropologist, interact with the locals, try to meet argentine people, get immersed more in the culture. Expats are the same everywhere, like McDonalds.

Matiasba, while I agree with your sentiment in principle, your response is exactly what I hate about this otherwise wonderful forum. Didn't your mother tell you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? The OP wanted friendship and familiarity, not judgement and life advice. Also, if you're going to criticize someone for not going native enough for your tastes, shouldn't you do it in Spanish? :p

Back