30-Somethings In Ba?

I never said that I wasn't going to meet locals. I absolutely would like to do that as well. But my guess is that expats will be great resources for helping me learn my way around BA, especially since I am not fluent in Spanish. I mean, isn't that why we are on this forum in the first place - to bond over shared experiences and learn from each other? And just FYI - the last thing anyone I know would consider me is conservative and not adventurous! I would never go to a country and expect an "Americanized (McDonald's)" experience. What would be the point of going?

Well, then I m sorry if I thought you were something you re not. I just cant stand people who travel 15,000 km and do a 100% american life. Believe me, they exist, and are quite a few.

Matiasba, while I agree with your sentiment in principle, your response is exactly what I hate about this otherwise wonderful forum. Didn't your mother tell you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? The OP wanted friendship and familiarity, not judgement and life advice. Also, if you're going to criticize someone for not going native enough for your tastes, shouldn't you do it in Spanish? :p

hahaha good point

I know they exist. I've traveled to 30 different countries, mostly solo, and I cringe when I see American travelers expecting an American experience. Because I'm in my mid 30s and don't stay in hostels (I realize I could, but I feel like I've outgrown it), it can be increasingly hard to meet people my own age when I travel. And since I will be in BA for a few months (and staying in an apartment) and will be freelancing for my job back in Seattle while I'm in BA (and thus won't have an office in BA where I go to to meet new people), I thought a good starting point are expats. I will branch out, though - no worries about that. :)

Well, then I m sorry if I thought you were something you re not. I just cant stand people who travel 15,000 km and do a 100% american life. Believe me, they exist, and are quite a few.

Back