36 Hours In Salta By Way Of The Ny Times.

Don t forget to go in groups if you are a woman. There were some rapes in salta and minister of security asserted that it was victims fault... No comments.

Salta sounds like an interesting alternative to Buenos Aires, with it´s smaller size, lower cost of living and different climate and scenery. I´ve only heard good things about Salta.

Salta sounds like an interesting alternative to Buenos Aires, with it´s smaller size, lower cost of living and different climate and scenery. I´ve only heard good things about Salta.
I have spent about two months over there in total and I found it a rather boring place, apart from a few nice buildings. Because of that and because of the cultural differences in comparison to the Rio de la Plata area (certainly more Latin American), Salta is certainly interesting for tourism, but I wouldn't permanently settle down there. I did have the impression that it was quite a safe town, the food is great and people are way more easy-going than in the capital. If you like quiet environments, you may well feel at home. For me Mendoza is already too dull... but, while I love the beauty of 'el interior', I am addicted to big city life.

Salta capital is a fun town and is awesome on your first tourist whirl, but as the above poster pointed out, it's essentially a boring small city. People on here complain enough about BA being backwards, but a long-term stay in Salta is that tenfold. It is very relaxing and a nice escape, if you're looking for that. The food is indeed hard to beat, though!

I like Salta, but I prefer the backcountry loop through Cafayate, Molinos and Cachi, with a side trip to Colomé. One of Argentina's top road trips, doable on a long weekend.

I agree, Salta is a small town (half a million people) and when I first visited I loved it but thought the same - it's only good for a short time. Then I fell in love, got married and have now been here 6 years.

I lived in Milan, London and BA before here so the difference was big but you get used to it and when you get to know the city there's plenty to do.

If anyone wants to know any specifics about Salta or the surrounding areas just ask and I will try and help.

Back