3g phone card for notebook computer

diego7david

Registered
any recommendations for a 3g mobile phone card for a notebook computer? costs?

is this at all comparable to a good wired internet connection?

A couple of guys at work use Claro's 3g USB modem, I can't remember the speed they have but it's good enough for work (and we don't just browse pages we do a lot of remote access to the US and other bandwidth consuming stuff), it costs around 110 pesos a month and it's got a stable connection but that depends on where you are (signal strenght)

so 110 pesos a month for a good connection. that makes it cheaper than having a wired broadband connection. good

i wonder if i can swap in my the sim card from my regular phone into the 3g modem and then back again for phone........

I just checked the website cause I need this too, it says 129 Pesos including taxes, for a "libre" connection, I assume it means there's no download limit and you can use it as much as you want the whole month, as usual, the information on their website lacks important details like the connection speed and how much a usb modem costs, every time I want details I find a "for more information call us at xxxx" why bother creating a website if you can't really do anything with it?

anybody else use 3g computer modem? is this cheaper and as good as wired broadband connections?

upon more research i find on the internet devices i never knew existed for 3g.

like a device that connects to a 3g modem like a huawei e228 and makes your own personal wifi hotspot in your apt. from a telephone 3g signal. i am trying to find someone with some experience or knowledge in this area. split the sost of internet with your neighbors.

http://www.wirelessnwifi.com/Cradlepoint-PHS300

my latest update is that my 3g phone itself can be used directly to connect to the internet and saves getting a wired broadband connection. claros webpage listed my sony ericsson 3g phone as something they support with hsdpa, the fast connection, and lists my phone as able to be used as a computer modem.
and this website helps me connect. no need to pay for wired internet anymore.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget....e-your-3G-phone-as-a-wireless-broadband-modem

its called tethering

diego7david said:
my latest update is that my 3g phone itself can be used directly to connect to the internet and saves getting a wired broadband connection. claros webpage listed my sony ericsson 3g phone as something they support with hsdpa, the fast connection, and lists my phone as able to be used as a computer modem.
and this website helps me connect. no need to pay for wired internet anymore.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget....e-your-3G-phone-as-a-wireless-broadband-modem

its called tethering

That's really good, although I would first try it out for a month before getting rid of the old wired connection, also, tethering is useful but if you are planning on using it as your primary home connection, then you should buy a 3G USB Modem, you can't have your expensive 3G phone permanently charging, attached to your computer and being unable to actually use your cell phone to make and receive calls.

you can still make calls with your phone. and for me because im here there and everywhere. it does make sense. but im sure not for everyone. plus, my cell charges when its attached via usb.

Back