5 Americans rejected at the border yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
v

For anyone who doesn't fully understand the short answer above, I'd like to add that most (if not all) of those making the visa run are doing so with the mistaken notion that it keeps them "legal" with Argentine immigration laws/rules (as decreed) and that simply is not correct.

Unless I'm also mistaken, the visa runs are in violation of those decrees.
So are you saying that when an immigration officer here stamps a visa runners passport anew, that officer is him/herself a coconspirator in the breaking of the law and that the visa runner had no legal grounds by which to be in the country? Seems to me that once you have that stamp you would be in the country legally. Otherwise, they would refuse entry.

Last edited:
You might want to check your sources before you go quoting them.

Who knows more about Argentine immigration law...you, me or a prestigious Argentine immigration lawyer? I'll put my trust in Dr. BC2.

So are you saying that when an immigration officer here stamps a visa runners passport anew, that officer is him/herself a coconspirator in the breaking of the law and that the visa runner had no legal grounds by which to be in the country? Seems to me that once you have that stamp you would be in the country legally. Otherwise, they would refuse entry.

I don't think it's accurate to assert that the officer is him/herself a co-conspirator in the breaking of the law.

As it appears that the entry or denial of entry to any foreigner is up to the individual officer, if they believe that the foreigner is abusing the tourist visa, they have the power to deny the entry. That is apparently the law, and if it isn't, it's certainly the policy.

Put simply, the foreigner's "legal grounds" to be in the country can be determined on the spot by each office, making them the judge, jury, and the executioner, not a co-conspirator.

What do you forsee as the enforcement of the global wealth tax? Can Argentina identify our assets overseas?

I don't think it's accurate to assert that the officer is him/herself a co-conspirator in the breaking of the law.

As it appears that the entry or denial of entry to any foreigner is up to the individual officer, if they believe that the foreigner is abusing the tourist visa, they have the power to deny the entry. That is apparently the law, and if it isn't, it's certainly the policy.

Put simply, the foreigner's "legal grounds" to be in the country can be determined on the spot by each office, making them the judge, jury, and the executioner, not a co-conspirator.
But is that visa runner with a new stamp, legally in the country? I guess I thought you were saying that he/she is not.

But is that visa runner with a new stamp, legally in the country? I guess I thought you were saying that he/she is not.
Once reentry is permitted, yes, of course the "visa runner" is in the country legally, as many tourist do come to Argentina , leave and return before their initial 90 day permit expires. but repeated visa runs which, at the discretion of the individual immigration agent, may be regarded as abuse of the tourist visa and can obviously lead to not being allowed reentry.

If I understand correctly, going to other countries repeatedly to continue to get new 90 day tourist visas was dealt with in the decree in 2010. A visa runner is (apparently) in the country legally as long as the last "new" visa is valid, but each time they leave Argentina (with rare the exception of their lawyer being able to get a writ of habeas corpus), they lose any legal right to re-enter.

Then it's up to the border agent to pass judgment whether they have "illegally" abused the tourist visa and whether or not to let them back in.

That's why it's a "mistake" to make the visa runs.

Thinking they keep you "legal" is mental masturbation.

Last edited:
Once a single border agent at a particular point of entry has passed judgement that someone is abusing the tourist visa and denies that person entry, does that set a binding precedent for other border agents at other points of entry, at later points in time in respect of that same individual? How long into the future does the decision by that particular border agent prejudice the individual from entering the country; is a set period fixed by law, or is it simply a matter of trying again in the future knowing that a previous rejection will be showing in the system and hoping that a future border agent may overlook that and make a different judgement in that future context?

What do you forsee as the enforcement of the global wealth tax? Can Argentina identify our assets overseas?
That's the million dollar question. I think Macri was trying to get the US and other countries to sign financial disclosure agreements but I don't know what ever happened with that. Has any Expat ever had to pay a global wealth tax here?

Last edited:
Once a single border agent at a particular point of entry has passed judgement that someone is abusing the tourist visa and denies that person entry, does that set a binding precedent for other border agents at other points of entry, at later points in time in respect of that same individual? How long into the future does the decision by that particular border agent prejudice the individual from entering the country; is a set period fixed by law, or is it simply a matter of trying again in the future knowing that a previous rejection will be showing in the system and hoping that a future border agent may overlook that and make a different judgement in that future context?
Based on what I've read in this forum, the individual who is denied entry can be banned for a period of five years,.

If that's the case, and the passport is stamped with a five year ban on reentry, it certainly would "set a binding precedent for other border agents at other points of entry, at later points in time in respect of that same individual."

The ban would also be in the system and getting a new passport would not change what's already happened.

That being said, I don't think anyone has posted about trying to enter a second time after being denied re-entry, but I suppose that could happen...

...but I wouldn't count on it without the help of am immigration lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back