5 Americans rejected at the border yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Steve, that is a very clear answer: not only does the rejected re-enterer fail to re-enter, but they get a stamp which will make it impossible to try again for another five years; a huge problem for someone with assets here (and a problem for any local creditors they may have) who has been unable to regularize their situation despite best efforts and has had to resort to visa running. Very good information to have. Thankyou.

Thanks Steve, that is a very clear answer: not only does the rejected re-enterer fail to re-enter, but they get a stamp which will make it impossible to try again for another five years; a huge problem for someone with assets here (and a problem for any local creditors they may have) who has been unable to regularize their situation despite best efforts and has had to resort to visa running. Very good information to have. Thankyou.

The key point for anyone who still isn't sure is that resorting to visa running does not keep you in "good standing" with migraciones.

I'm not absolutely sure the ban on reentry is five year in every case. That's the one figure I remember.

BC2 recently posted abut someone who was denied reentry overland from Uruguay. I believe they waited until the border agents went home for the night and just walked back in after waiting on the bridge for hours.

I'm not sure if their passports were stamped with a ban or if a ban was entered in the system. I don't think he said anything about that.

PS: I certainly don't have all the answers. I never made a visa run and I never had an overstay, but this is an issue to which I have paid close attention for almost fourteen years. I read all the posts about it and try to tie things together when I can. I always welcome additional information as well as corrections to anything that I've written.

Last edited:
It is not a tactic, the visa run is a mistake.
Tell that to the guy recycling two passports and one mercosur cedula every 3 months. For the last 3 years, he created enough evidence of habitation to become your client.

The tax itself is the bigger issue, as you suggests. but for those of us who would like to stay, the repatriation of 5% would make a sizeable difference.
Welll, well, well, no. Read the law.

A. When the law refers to assets abroad, it means to assets that were transferred from Argentina, not wealth you created abroad before coming to Argentina.

B. The law refers to domiciled persons in Argentina as tax payers. Here you are in a mistake: legal residence means domicile / address in Argentina.

C. Citizenship, instead, it is based in a politic relationship but not address. It means that once you have the citizenship, you make your DNI with an address abroad and that’s it. Then you are not a tax payer ;) for this tax.

v

For anyone who doesn't fully understand the short answer above, I'd like to add that most (if not all) of those making the visa run are doing so with the mistaken notion that it keeps them "legal" with Argentine immigration laws/rules (as decreed) and that simply is not correct.

Unless I'm also mistaken, the visa runs are in violation of those decrees.
Indeed. When the former President asserted that the decree 70-2017 is for deporting criminals is because in the extreme right way of thinking the visa run means fake tourist that means espionage that it is a serious crime.

When you are rejected you must do 2 things: to appeal before the AR closest Cónsul and to interpose an habeas corpus before a Federal Judge.
With the administrative appeal submitted, you should be able to re enter. If not, you must criminally prosecute the immigration agent.
A fake tourist is an inhabitant with the right to re enter.
Here is where the application for citizenship is important because during the process, your legal status is statuliber. It means you must be treated as a citizenship waiting for confirmation because the AR procedure for becoming a citizen is a donation of full liberty because the law was enacted when most of people were slave or serf (1869).

Have you read the constitution? Argentina is not the USA where hating immigrants is a national pasttime, the right to immigrate is constitutionally enshrined and protected.
I saw a poll the other day where Yanquis listed their pastimes, here were the top three choices: (1) baseball (2) hating on immigrants and (3) looking for where to find the best rate to convert dollars to pesos which edged out "peanut butter acquisition strategies" from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back