5 Americans rejected at the border yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajo_cero2

Registered
Yesterday 5 Americans were rejected at the border with Chile. 2 of them were living here for long time, 2 renewed the tourist visa once before, the last was in her first renewal.

They were trying to renew the tourist visas
The immigration agent was super nasty and he rejected them for fake tourist that in international public law means espionage.
In reality, it means that they were living here without legal residency.
One of them is applying for citizenship, so, the habeas corpus was interposed at Mendoza Federal Chamber because I was close to this Federal Court on my vacations.

The immigration agent was super nasty and he rejected them for fake tourist that in international public law means espionage.

So, it's still up to the individual immigration agent whether to admit or not?

Were they traveling separately or together in a group?

Must be a PRO appointed judge. Here is to hoping that AF cleans up the justice system.

If the judge grated the writ of habeas corpus, that's obviously a good thing.

What difference does it make who appointed him? (just curious)

When you hope that AF cleans up the justice system, what do you mean regarding Argentine migraciones?

I think it would be great if migraciones would enforce the immigration laws/rules equally.

Perhaps then more of the pseudo tourists would get the message and stop making these idiotic visa runs.

As BC2 has repeatedly indicated, the DNU 70/1017 gave the agents police powers and they can do whatever they want.

That certainly doesn't create a sense (or reality) of justice.

So, it's still up to the individual immigration agent whether to admit or not?

Were they traveling separately or together in a group?
The immigration agents have wide freedom. This is a good example.
They were traveling in group.

Last edited:
It may be worth remembering that a decree in 2010 (long before Macri) was enacted regarding the pseudo tourist issue.

I was surprised (and still am) that the DNU 70/2017 didn't bring about the "long awaited crackdown" which would have meant a much higher rate of rejections at the border.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with refusing reentry tho those who have abused the tourist visa and are stupid enough to continue making visa runs.

PS: I started a thread with the words "long awaited crackdown" in the title (I believe in 2010).

Macri or no Macri, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now.

Last edited:
my gf has been in and out on a tourist visa for over a year now. The only time we've had issues is when she drew an agent that was clearly having a bad day. He gave he shit and pulled her into the back office for investigation. The senior officer didn't seem to think it was big deal since all her stamps in and out were legit with no overstays. The original agent was clearly aggravated that the senior agent wasn't as excited as he was.

It totally depends on the way the agent is feeling when you walk up to the counter.

It may be worth remembering that a decree in 2010 (long before Macri) was enacted regarding the pseudo tourist issue.

I was surprised (and still am) that the DNU 70/2017 didn't bring about the "long awaited crackdown" which would have meant a much higher rate of rejections at the border.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with refusing reentry tho those who have abused the tourist visa and are stupid enough to continue making visa runs.

PS: I started a thread with the words "long awaited crackdown" in the title (I believe in 2010).

Macri or no Macri, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now.

I did visa runs for over 5 years and know an american who did them for over 10 years!! Sometimes it isn't a case of stupidity but not easily qualifying for a visa.

I'm relieved to have a DNI and no longer have a pit in my stomach every time I go through immigration, but the "crackdown" never seemed to happen. I agree with others here that it seems highly dependent on the individual officer.

BC2 has claimed that Macri instituted some racist and islamic-facist policies here. I forget exactly what he was referring to, but BC2 seems to be the law expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back