6-7 months, need short term apt tips, other tips

jrockstar80

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to BA in early Jan. to spend 6-7 months becoming fluent in Spanish. I was in BA (Monserrat) for about 10 days this spring (er, fall) and got a sense of the basics (the lack of monedas, the cash economy, the un-spicy food). My Spanish is good but I don't know if I can call myself fluent - I've translated in meetings with Spanish-speakers at work, but I can't exactly follow mate-fueled discussions with multiple Argentines :)

I'm reposting some of these Q's in other forums and will link to those posts in the post below so hopefully nobody ends up answering twice.... thanks!

1. Apartments.

a) Because of problems with getting security deposits returned, it sounds like the safest thing to do, at least for the first month, is just rent an apt through an agency. Is that about right?

b) Also, how long does it take to line up an apt through an agency when you're there? I'm wondering whether I will be spending so much money on a hostel/pension while I find an apt. that it makes sense to just line up an apt. before leaving (Let's of course assume that an apt. through the agency will be what is advertised...)

c) if you can't negotiate payments in pesos and need USD, is the consensus that casas de cambio is the best (only) way for people with visas turistas to do this?

2. Work. I see job postings on this site, and on buenosaires.craiglist.org, and on the clarin, la nacion websites, etc. Any other thoughts on looking for jobs other than (of course) networking? My field is global relocation/immigration so I'm looking for something related...

3. What to do in BA all day until I find a job. I did see the 'what's going on in BA thread' with the list of suggestions, but I'm hoping for a few additional thoughts:

a) Volunteering. This is one thing I really couldn't find a bunch of threads about on this site... I do actually see a volunteering section on the la nacion website, which is interesting... can anyone speak to any more or less full-time volunteer opportunities in BA? Or do people do internships in BA?

b) Getting home safely. I assume I'm going to be going out a lot until I get a job... do the buses run all night? Is it safe to take buses home from clubs in Palermo, etc., or do I have to take a cab? (I'm 6', 180, 30 y.o. male, and everyone keeps telling me, 'oh you look argentine, you'll be fine.' LOL)

maybe see you soon in BA :)

jrockstar80 said:
2. Work. I see job postings on this site, and on buenosaires.craiglist.org, and on the clarin, la nacion websites, etc. Any other thoughts on looking for jobs other than (of course) networking? My field is global relocation/immigration so I'm looking for something related...

Finding work here can be very difficult for foreigners. Finding a job in your field might take more than the six or seven months you plan to be here. It might be helpful if you listed the countries for which you have expertise or experience regarding relocation and immigration. Perhaps you could work free lance with Argentines who have a desire to emigrate to these nations...and perhaps you should be the one placing ads on craigslist...for your own clients.

b) If you sort out an apartment when you arrive you will probably have to do a bit of apartment hopping; any good apartment will already have advanced booking, trying to find one that is available for 6-7 months will probably be difficult.

My place for example (link in signature below) is fully booked until the end on February.

Consider looking for a place now.....

As far as the apartment goes, my husband and I arrived after arranging an apartment though http://buenosairespeople.com and we're so happy with the service as well as with the guy that runs it that I started working with him to try to help him out (and to give me something to do myself). We got our deposit money back right away, no problems, and he handled every little issue that we had and helped us go from a one month apartment with him to the longer term apartment we are in now. He has a great collection of apartments that are furnished with all expenses included and you can rent most of them from one week to whatever.

For January there are at least four great options available for you in Recoleta and Belgrano for 750US/month and you can pay month to month in pesos or in dollars and the apartments are furnished.

If you have any questions, you can private message me or contact him through the contact page. His name is Mateo. He will call you back, which is something that you will learn to appreciate when dealing with real estate agents and services here. If you activate your private messaging here also you might get some more direct responses from people with apartments.

Cheers, good luck, and please let me know if I can help.

steve - i worked in migration to the US and investigated this when i was there earlier this year, turned up a few leads but i know i'm not going to be supporting myself thru work in BA.

thanks everyone else - it sounds like it just makes sense to rent a place for a month thru a reputable agency before i get here. i'm actually looking forward to not being locked into a long term lease after surviving a year in a rathole here in the US. i might get hooked up with an apt thru someone i met when i was in BA though, but i'm going to give that a few more weeks to see if it pans out. would it be fair to say that nobody in argentina thinks two months in advance? lol

lee - i have to say i didn't fall in love with BA and it seemed to me like a harder place to be alone than NYC or paris - just less going on - but i'm going to Latin America to become fluent in spanish, and it seemed like a good place to start even if i end up getting bored and going to chile, peru, whatever.

also lee - i read your profile... does gay life exist in BA outside of the clubs and manhunt? what are some ways to meet gays there? apparently you can't search on 'gay' in these forums, lol

Back