7 Habits Of The Happy Expat.............

Ideally, yes, but in reality no.

Some of us remember HOYT (the Yoga Teacher) and a few more members, who could not leave, and stayed for years after past expiration date because of heavy investments in foreign currency.

Actually, she was heavily invested in foreign property, not currency.

Property transactions were conducted in dollars when she bought as well as when she sold.

She simply invested too much money in buying and remodeling a property to be able resell it as quickly as she desired (if that's what you mean by the exp<b></b>ression "expiration date").

I remember that she posted that she had residency, so at least that was not the issue (in terms of expiration).

There was no doubt from her posts that her desire to live in Buenos Aires had expired.

I sold my apartment in Recoleta in the spring of 2009 when the market had been declared dead by some members of this forum and that there would soon be a "correction" (downturn) in real estate prices.

It still hasn't happened (though the rate of increase has slowed).

PS: I did not make a big profit on the sale of my apartment (less than ten thousand dollars after three yeas) and I sold into a slow market (within 60 days of listing and I accepted the first offer), but it made it possible for me to buy a much larger property at a much lower price...in a place where I am much happier to live.

Actually, she was heavily invested in foreign property, not currency.

Property transactions were conducted in dollars when she bought as well as when she sold.

She simply invested too much money in buying and remodeling a property to be able resell it as quickly as she desired (if that's what you mean by the exp<b></b>ression "expiration date").

I remember that she posted that she had residency, so at least that was not the issue (in terms of expiration).

There was no doubt from her posts that her desire to live in Buenos Aires had expired.

I sold my apartment in Recoleta in the spring of 2009 when the market had been declared dead by some members of this forum and that there would soon be a "correction" (downturn) in real estate prices.

It still hasn't happened (though the rate of increase has slowed).

PS: I did not make a big profit on the sale of my apartment (less than ten thousand dollars after three yeas) and I sold into a slow market (within 60 days of listing and I accepted the first offer), but it made it possible for me to buy a much larger property at a much lower price...in a place where I am much happier to live.
You got lucky so enjoy the fruits. Plus the bonus of getting out of BA.

What do you guys think of this? What's your favourite habit to be a happy expat? :)

1. intensamente curioso

... adventurous ... risk taker ... creative/[destructive according to norm people] ... restless rebel ... questions routine ...

Back