90 Minutes In Buenos Aires

There is no ambush. It is responsability of the air company to do not let you do the check in if you don t have all the proper visa/fee/passport, etc.
The government has no power on other´s contry territory, that´s why are the companies who are fined when they make mistakes like the one of the story.
And let´s be honest, he should check before he travel if there was any requirement. Spain for example, ask for a medical insurance and you can be rejected if you don t have it.

The "reciprocity" fee (more accurately, retaliation fee) is still a foolish and counter-productive measure.

Your guidebook must have been out of date. I was in Istanbul in 1999 and it was a requirement that I knew about in advance, probably via Lonely Planet.
I was using "LET'S GO".

...damned Harvard students...

There is no ambush. It is responsability of the air company to do not let you do the check in if you don t have all the proper visa/fee/passport, etc.
The government has no power on other´s contry territory, that´s why are the companies who are fined when they make mistakes like the one of the story.
And let´s be honest, he should check before he travel if there was any requirement. Spain for example, ask for a medical insurance and you can be rejected if you don t have it.
I agree. Ones who make the law, have the power to enforce their law on Airlines entering their countries, to check for proper visa/fee/passport, etc. BEFORE any one steps on that plane.

Pre September 11th I landed in Istanbul and was told that I needed to pay a US$20 fee for a visa. I consulted my travel guide book that had been printed less than 12 months before and it said NOTHING about a visa. (This was before 2001 and before everything was found on the Internet.)

I was fairly certain that the guys at the baggage claim just wanted a US$20 tip. Even though they were nice and patient, I was skeptical because my guide book had always mentioned visa requirements for every other country that required a visa. But I paid the thing, I received a some kind of paper stamp that was stuck in my passport and I was allowed to leave. When I got to my hostel, I asked others if they had also had to pay a visa fee and they said that they had, so either we were uniformly scammed, or it was a new thing. But I quickly got over it and forgot about it... UNTIL THIS THREAD BROUGHT IT ALL BACK TO ME!!!!

Everyone i know that ever went to Turkey had to pay for the visa, im surprised that your guidebook didnt tell you this. Im going to Istanbul soon and the website of the consulate clearly says basically everyone needs a visa, and that now, since 2013, e-visas have replaced the ones that you used to pay for at the airport.

So what are you guys saying? How much in US Dollars does it take to enter BA thru customs?

Nothing if youre European, $160if youre a yanqui. Guess they dont want to cut all their imaginary ties to being a European country yet.

When I went to Chile in 2007, I was shocked right at Airport Immigration when they demanded right there and then US$130 (or something like that). But it was benign (I paid it, & they let me through). I never ever heard of such a thing before. I mean, if I forgot or was unaware of this fee and I am willing to pay it ..... then what the hell? I think it is a barbaric disgusting practice by any government (no matter which one it is) to ambush people. It is not a crime to forgot or to be unaware of different rules of different countries, punishable by a return flight of 10 or 16 hours. It is unreasonable crazy and insane.
Each government should enforce their own laws BEFORE any one gets on a plane heading to their country, not AFTER they arrive.

Im sorry but it seems to be the most basic kind of logic to me that you cant enforce laws in a country you dont actually rule? Unless youre looking to invade and conquer, but otherwise it would be against pretty much any international law. You could, of course, require that people go to the ambassy before they board the plane but when it comes to people that dont check the requirements before they go, it would be like the mother of all stupid questions 'is there anybody in the room that cant hear me?'.

Im sorry but it seems to be the most basic kind of logic to me that you cant enforce laws in a country you dont actually rule? Unless youre looking to invade and conquer, but otherwise it would be against pretty much any international law. You could, of course, require that people go to the ambassy before they board the plane but when it comes to people that dont check the requirements before they go, it would be like the mother of all stupid questions 'is there anybody in the room that cant hear me?'.
I agree. Ones who make the law, have the power to enforce their law on Airlines entering their countries, to check for proper visa/fee/passport, etc. BEFORE any one steps on that plane.

What invading?

What invading?

It obviously wouldnt be invading if youd require the airlines to take care of it, but you didnt mention that. You simply said inforce their laws before people get on the plane, which would be in the other country. And in fact, i think its already the case that airlines are required to check if people have visas, or at least mention it before they board the passenger.

Back