90 Minutes In Buenos Aires

Travelled to Sao Paulo very early on Tuesday morning, I was confronted in my dormant state by a very uptight member of check in staff from aerolineas who chided me for not having arranged my "visa" (her words) for Brazil. I told her I had permanent residency and a DNI from a Mercosur country, how did I need a visa or have to pay a fee?

She insisted, told me I should have organised this in advance. "Irish have to pay visa for Brazil"

I ignored her after she handed over my boarding card. No visas for mercorsur permanent residents, never mind the fact that Ireland and Brazil don't have a retaliatory rep. fee arrangement, free travel for both directions.

Nice to see AArg are consistent in their service levels. Next time I´ll take my chances with Gol or TAM.

I told her I had permanent residency and a DNI from a Mercosur country, how did I need a visa or have to pay a fee?

I'm only responding to this to help others avoid any confusion. Residency alone does not factor into this. Ultimately, your citizenship is what matters. If you are not a citizen of Argentina, then you cannot take advantage of the visa "waivers" that Argentina has with other countries. As you said, the Irish don't need a visa for travel to Brazil.

At any rate, I've always thought the government here was quite hypocritical on this issue. If they find U.S. (or Canadian, Australian, etc) immigration policy to be unfair, why apply the same, unfair policies? Not only is it hypocritical in my view, it's quite nonsensical. The country is so starved for dollars, and they put up all of these barriers that prevent them from flowing in.

So much pride, so much arrogance.

Upon arriving in Brazil I went through the Brazilians, Mercosur citizens and Permandent Residents of Mercosur track. Same upon exit, it is clearly marked as such.

I'm only responding to this to help others avoid any confusion. Residency alone does not factor into this. Ultimately, your citizenship is what matters. If you are not a citizen of Argentina, then you cannot take advantage of the visa "waivers" that Argentina has with other countries. As you said, the Irish don't need a visa for travel to Brazil.

At any rate, I've always thought the government here was quite hypocritical on this issue. If they find U.S. (or Canadian, Australian, etc) immigration policy to be unfair, why apply the same, unfair policies? Not only is it hypocritical in my view, it's quite nonsensical. The country is so starved for dollars, and they put up all of these barriers that prevent them from flowing in.

So much pride, so much arrogance.

You miss the point. If there were no "reciprocity" fee, visitors might spend that US$160 (or the corresponding amount for other nationalities) on goods and services from local businesses. The Camporistas would then have no access to it.

Upon arriving in Brazil I went through the Brazilians, Mercosur citizens and Permandent Residents of Mercosur track. Same upon exit, it is clearly marked as such.

Yes, and this is the case in Argentina, as well. As an American and an Argentine permanent resident, I still have to apply for a Brazilian visa. The only benefit that permanent residency here gives me is that I can get a visa for 5-10 years instead of 3 months.

You were only allowed to travel to Brazil because Irish citizens do not need a visa. If you were an American, Canadian, Australian, etc., you would have been refused entry.

Yes, and this is the case in Argentina, as well. As an American and an Argentine permanent resident, I still have to apply for a Brazilian visa. The only benefit that permanent residency here gives me is that I can get a visa for 5-10 years instead of 3 months.

You were only allowed to travel to Brazil because Irish citizens do not need a visa. If you were an American, Canadian, Australian, etc., you would have been refused entry.
When I went to Brazil 2005, I was given 5 years multiple entry tourist visa (as a Canadian tourist in Argentina).

You`re funny.
Let aside invasion conquer & international law.

Trying to inforce national law in another country sounds like that to me. But that was before you told me 5 times that you meant the airlines.

Fail to plan = Plan to Fail. If you go abroad the first questions you must answer yourself are if you need a visa or any special shots.
The whole visa deal sucks but truth is we didn't start that shit.

The whole visa deal sucks but truth is we didn't start that shit.
Countries are now responding "in kind" retaliating "tet for tat", ambushing travelers & using them as pawns.

Inventing & designing a law based on where to pay a fee (and returning some one after 10 or 16 hour flight) is malicious & insane.

Back