A few tips for Newcomers

I always hand over my Washington State drivers licence with my credit card and it has always been accepted. For a number, when required, I just use the numerical part of the drivers licence number. Works every time.

I have used my drivers licence it tends to work fine, expect for the bank and post office there you need your passport (original). HYT-I have been hit by a car, bus, and bicyclist. I was in the crosswalk and had the walk sign. These were on separate occasions. I actually enjoy driving here. At first I thought I had a death wish, but after awhile you realize it is "organized chaos".

Here's an obvious but sometimes forgotten tip. When withdrawing cash from an ATM, take out a sum that ends in 80 or 90 so you don't have to deal with the dreaded changing of a hundie.

HotYogaTeacher said:
...In a cafe' these people might be decent and friendly, but when they have someplace to be they are unmoved by your presence or your need for your fair share of space and there are no social rules for whose turn it is (that I've figured out yet)to pass. Locals in Argentina walk just like they drive, never looking at or seeing anyone and drifting from side to side, entering the sidewalk from blind doorways without so much as looking up from their text messaging, never saying excuse me or sorry even when they walk right into you, hit you with an elbow, a hip, a bag, step on you. They step in front of you and slow down, walk on your heels even though they can clearly see you have a crush of people in front of you and can't move any faster, have no hesitation about touching your body or your things and rarely apologize even if they really hurt you when they run you over...

Just gently saying "permiso" (in my best local accent) has always worked for me when I want to pass those blocking the sidewalks. It's equally polite to add "gracias" as you pass.

Two words. It's that simple.

In the three years I have been here I have been bumped into many times, but I almost always hear the word "perdon" when it happens and often say it myself, even when I have been the bumpee.

Please don't say "perdon" when you want to pass someone. It isn't the correct use of the word and doesn't make sense to the locals. It's an apology. Unless you've bumped into them, they will think you are daft.

I walk a lot and I walk rather quickly. I just accept the fact that it is my responsibility to avoid those in my path and I also choose wider sidewalks when possible. It saves me a lot of time and angst.

HotYogaTeacher said:
Hey HDM~

Other than food, walking is my biggest struggle here. And it's not just the cars.
You said:
"What is it about driving a car that takes otherwise decent, friendly people think they have been transformed into the terminator?"

I have to say, I don't think it's the car. In a cafe' these people might be decent and friendly, but when they have someplace to be they are unmoved by your presence or your need for your fair share of space and there are no social rules for whose turn it is (that I've figured out yet)to pass. Locals in Argentina walk just like they drive, never looking at or seeing anyone and drifting from side to side, entering the sidewalk from blind doorways without so much as looking up from their text messaging, never saying excuse me or sorry even when they walk right into you, hit you with an elbow, a hip, a bag, step on you. They step in front of you and slow down, walk on your heels even though they can clearly see you have a crush of people in front of you and can't move any faster, have no hesitation about touching your body or your things and rarely apologize even if they really hurt you when they run you over.

It is a general disrespect for other's right of way and personal space. It is common in big cities everywhere, but I've never seen it to this extreme anywhere I've been. I'm with you on one thing, walking on the street is the most dangerous, and disturbing, aspect of life here. My personal practice is to keep from getting upset and continue to smile politely and ask politely to be excused. I do occasionally say something to someone who has been terribly rude. Many expats I know have challenged the idea that it's rude, because it's a different culture, but when you talk with locals about the issue, they know it's rude and they are embarrassed about the way people treat each other on the streets.

I notice that respect for home space is sacred here. People wont enter my home without asking permission, use my bathroom, no matter how many times I've said it's ok, or walk into a room in my home other than the living room until I have personally invited them, even if they are following me around. That respect doesn't translate on the street. Of course, that all changes when we see someone we know. It's all about personal relationships here...
It takes every new comer a little time to get used to the idea that they don't have the right of way when crossing the street. Does anyone know if people actually get run over, or if the cars are just pushing the issue and if one pushed back they'd give way? Not a question I plan to research personally by the way, just curious;)~

Yes some drivers here should be jailed for their crimes against humanity. I believe that cars are lethal weapons and anyone who uses them in an irresponsible manner should have the full weight of the law against them.

Yes personal space is different here but there are some signs of orderly behaviour ie... bus lines and lines in general are well respected .

Argentina is an egotistical society in many ways and a great argentine writer I believe it was Jorge Luis Borges said the human ego is the little argentine in us all. I always smile at that quote.

Probably the two most important tips I can think of if you don't want to be the rude foreigner
TIP ONE: THE GREETINGS
When you go to any gathering at a restaurant or house, don't just enter and say a general "hi" to the room and sit yourself down. Make sure to go around the room and greet each person individually with a kiss on the cheek. Say "hola" "que tal?" etc, then the kiss accompanied by your name and a mucho gusto, or encantado/a (this is a bit formal). You should do this in any situation such as a dinner party, birthday, any event in a house, basically anywhere where there is a group of people not too large, although if you know everyone at a house party you should make sure you greet everyone at some point during the evening.

When you arrive for a dinner at a restaurant do not even think to take your place at the table until you have walked around the table and greeted everyone.
--
TIP TWO: THE GOODBYES
When leaving any of the above situations, please! for god's sake say goodbye to everyone before you take off. It is rude to just up and disappear. So you had better start planning your exit well before you want to go because the goodbye round will take awhile. Saludos always end up meaning a bit of a chat, so be prepared for the long exit. Forgotten someone on the way out? It happens, don't worry. If it's someone you know and you've got their cel number it's pretty common to send a message immediately, saying that you forgot to say goodbye (obviously not possible if you don't have the persons phone number). When you say goodbye, same thing, it's a chau hasta luego, do the kiss and if it's a new acquaintance say it was un encanto etc.
--
The friends I have and the friends of my boyfriend are not exactly graduates of the Miss Manners School of Proper Etiquette. The mouth's on his guy friends are terrible, and their behaviour generally rude, yet even they follow these two basic rules.
SKIP THESE TIPS AND YOU'RE THE RUDE FOREIGNER FOR SURE. I can't stand it when I go back to North America and people walk into a house and just wave their hand and that's that. And I think it is SO rude when I go out here and the one foreigner enters and just says hi and sits down with the one other person they know. Tsk Tsk Tsk. Want to be like a Porteño/a? Do the greetings. Easy as that.

tangobob said:
If you want to know if they actually run people over, just read this
http://www.countdown.org/end/traffic_accidents_99.htm

I wonder if this is due to the way people drive here? Or due to the fact that people here will cross the street in what I consider very risky ways?

For example, people will cross a street where traffic has a green light. People will also cross so that they are "weaving" through driving cars moving at fast speeds. (I saw someone do this on the highway, the first day I came here. But I see it done all over the place!)

Actually, I very much suspect that this could be cause by people's crossing habits. And not the way people drive here.

Maybe I walk down different roads and use different forms of public transport, but I have never had a problem passing through people (con permiso) and always get an apology if someone bumps me.

Best advice I can give anyone here is smile and be patient.

syngirl said:
Forgotten someone on the way out? It happens, don't worry. If it's someone you know and you've got their cel number it's pretty common to send a message immediately, saying that you forgot to say goodbye (obviously not possible if you don't have the persons phone number). When you say goodbye, same thing, it's a chau hasta luego, do the kiss and if it's a new acquaintance say it was un encanto etc.

syngirl, this made me smile. Everything is so very true, and just last weekend I was at an asado with my boyfriend and many other Argentines. We did the goodbyes, which took 20 or so minutes, and then in the car already downt the street I said, "NO I forgot to say goodbye to Violeta (an acquaintance whose number I did not have) !!" He immediately turned around so I could go inside and kiss her goodbye.

Back