A few tips for Newcomers

If that is directed to me, reiver, the answer ought to be obvious ... I am not suicidal. Anybody who tries to cross a street on the red will be eliminated from the gene pool pretty rapidly.

The bigger problem is trying to figure out which light is green, who is likely to run the red, and how long you've got to get across before the horns blare and you are dancing with accelerating piles of sheet metal.

On the other hand, since Buenos Aires drivers are not quite as bad as those in Lahore, we should all be thankful to have lived another day as a pedestrian.

Superlatives seem to be popular here. I'm sure Argentina/Buenos Aires is/has the best/worst of something in the world but for the most part this statement is just going to be wrong. The one about the driving is a favourite on these pages and I just don't believe it to be the case but I apologise, I didn't realise that countries like Iran, Brazil, India, Ethiopia, Nigeria etc are not considered worthy comparisons when one is discussing 'the world.'

Moxon said:
. . . . I apologise, I didn't realise that countries like . . . Ethiopia . . . are not considered worthy comparisons when one is discussing 'the world.'
I'm not offended. Ethiopia does have some advantages, though, for the ever-vocal "I-live-where-it's-cheapest" section of the expat' crowd.

RWS said:
I'm not offended. Ethiopia does have some advantages, though, for the ever-vocal "I-live-where-it's-cheapest" section of the expat' crowd.
It does have some of the prettiest ladies on the continent also.

I'm remarkably fond of the place considering it is apparently among:
HDM said:
the worst cesspool holes on the planet.

I hear Zimbabwe is a good deal also.

steveinbsas said:
Just gently saying "permiso" (in my best local accent) has always worked for me when I want to pass those blocking the sidewalks. It's equally polite to add "gracias" as you pass.

Two words. It's that simple.

Please don't say "perdon" when you want to pass someone. It isn't the correct use of the word and doesn't make sense to the locals. It's an apology. Unless you've bumped into them, they will think you are daft.

I always say excuse me. Always.
I know the difference between excuse me and pardon me, though in any language, pardon me is another way to say you need to pass, you can also say may I pass please. None of that keeps you from being body slammed on occasion, though most of my expat friends notice it happens more to women than men. Jimmy and I definitely notice that it happens less to him and less to me if I am with him.
Also, I have a beautiful accent;)~

Peace Bro~

ps~ I got offered a job today, by a company that does business with mostly American companies. Who'd have thunk?;)~

HotYogaTeacher said:
None of that keeps you from being body slammed on occasion, though most of my expat friends notice it happens more to women than men.

Yeah... I've suspected this might be a guy vs. gal thing. Although I've only been here about 3 weeks, I haven't had one person bump into me. In fact, many people tend to move out of my way.

reiver said:
Yeah... I've suspected this might be a guy vs. gal thing. Although I've only been here about 3 weeks, I haven't had one person bump into me. In fact, many people tend to move out of my way.

Would you describe your well-groomed goatee as intimidating?

Moxon said:
Would you describe your well-groomed goatee as intimidating?

Hahaha :) Well, I don't know if it's the goatee. (Maybe it has to do with the 6 days a week I spend in the gym.)

It takes every new comer a little time to get used to the idea that they don't have the right of way when crossing the street. Does anyone know if people actually get run over, or if the cars are just pushing the issue and if one pushed back they'd give way? Not a question I plan to research personally by the way, just curious;)~

It took me a while to adjust to this for sure - coming from the bay area, where it is fairly sacred pedestrians have the right of way - it was an adjustment to say the least! I heard from a taxista people were hit on a daily basis in BA. I never checked it out - but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
I personally loved how much it is a 'walking-city' - but I hated the state of the sidewalks, after many mishaps and the regular messes left by dogs. After a while though I became pretty astute at paying attention and enjoyed the long walks very much. I miss that a lot, now being back where cars are an essential part of every day life. Being without a car for a year there was one of my favorite parts of living there - it just wasn't necessary. When we went out of town, we rented a car and after a lot of research found a place that was actually reasonable. it was in Florida - if anyone is interested I might be able to find something with the name of the place.

Back