A Little Thing That Makes Me Crazy

I used to be like the OP a bit. I am by no means trying to come across as arrogant, but after many, many years (15 total), my Spanish is just about as good as my English -- maybe even a bit better because I learned every single thing from the ground up.

That said, I will always have a slight accent, and I am fine with that. I often run into people who speak to me in English. However, you eventually get to a point where you realize, "Actually, I speak Spanish pretty well." So, when anyone does speak to me in English, which usually requires you to have a bit of conversation with me, I don't care. Like others have said, I think most do it to practice.

Perhaps you're still in that process of learning that you feel quite confident about your ability to speak Spanish, but not 100%, which is totally fine. It will come with time.

The thing that I absolutely hate is the out-of-the-blue "De dónde sos?" and all of its out-of-the-blue variants. It just happened to me at the "chino" on my block. Some guy just looks at me -- I hadn't even said a word -- and asks me in English, "German or American?" Even though I am from the U.S., I responded, "Ninguno," without even looking at him.

Evidently, if you're almost 2 meters tall with blond hair and blue eyes, you must either be German or American. Who knew?

You wouldn't ask some random person what her/his name is on the street -- and that would probably be a more polite question to ask randomly anyway! Why would you ask random strangers where they are from, especially based simply on their appearances?

The one time my vision turned red was when I spoke to a local stranger in my best Spanish (decent, with correct grammar), and the person would start speaking very slowly, very loud and in infinitives <_<

LOL!!! It's like being called an idiot out loud in the middle of the street.

Some guy just looks at me -- I hadn't even said a word -- and asks me in English, "German or American?"

I would have thought that your are either gorgeous or awesome, then last night it happened to me, too. I didn't even open my mouth and the lady straight out asked me "De donde sos?".

Evidently, if you're almost 2 meters tall with blond hair and blue eyes, you must either be German or American. Who knew?

That is because a little Austrian guy with a funny moustache told the world that Germans are tall, blond and have blue eyes.

That is because a little Austrian guy with a funny moustache told the world that Germans are tall, blond and have blue eyes.

Little, black haired and with dark eyes. If that wasn't crazy enough!

Little, black haired and with dark eyes. If that wasn't crazy enough!
Aryan+type.jpg

The thing that I absolutely hate is the out-of-the-blue "De dónde sos?" and all of its out-of-the-blue variants. It just happened to me at the "chino" on my block. Some guy just looks at me -- I hadn't even said a word -- and asks me in English, "German or American?" Even though I am from the U.S., I responded, "Ninguno," without even looking at him.

You wouldn't ask some random person what her/his name is on the street -- and that would probably be a more polite question to ask randomly anyway! Why would you ask random strangers where they are from, especially based simply on their appearances?

:D To be fair, I must give the Argentines credit for generally showing much better manners than that. At least, compared to what I'm used to from other countries :rolleyes: Here, they usually start with a greeting, introducing themselves, a compliment or something sensible. You're likely to get a hug and a kiss before the dreadful question comes.

The absolutely worst were UK and USA, trust me! Sometimes I felt surrounded by parrots who only know that one line. Over my long years as a migrant, I had to develop complex coping strategies. My responses largely depended on how tired I was and lunar phases, and ranged from ignoring the person to direct attack, along the lines "Are you police?" or "Where I come from, we say hello and introduce ourselves before asking personal questions!"

Compared to that, the odd Argentine who now starts by "de donde sos" usually gets away with it. I just smile and say "mucho gusto". Or maybe I've just grown B)

Usually I say I am from China, but decided not to given that I was in a "chino"... :)

I love the "Are you the police?" line. :)

If they try to speak to me in English I usually respond: "Que???? No te entiendo. Hablame en castellano, por favor". They promptly repeat themselves in Castellano once they realize their English isn't as good as they thought it was.

Back