A Little Thing That Makes Me Crazy

My wife tells me I look "very American" (whatever that means), yet Argentinos approach me regularly and ask for directions, bus information, etc...always in Castellano. Go figure.

Sockhopper: In may be true that in Europe that the natives don't generally speak to visitores in their native language choosing English instead.However,in Latin America this is usually not the case.I have lived in the region for 37 years have visited 16 countries and only in 2,Mexico and Costa Rica,have I been addressed in English first Even there I answer in Spanish and when their hear my fluency,they drop the English Cristina once said that she doesn't speak English because she belongs to the "Yankee go home generation" .That's one of the reasons I always prefer to speak Spanish or Portuguesei when travelling in L.A. For example,in more than 40 trips to Brazil only once was I addressed in English by an immigration official and that was because he had lived in my hometown of NYC and inquired about 9/11.All the other times I was greeted with," O sehor fala portugues?".I just came from Colombia where the best Spanish in L.A.is spoken and believe me they are gratified to hear any visitors speak Spanish with little regard to fluency.It's the thought that counts and they really appreciate it.I am not all that sure that Redbeanz was only imagining things.

Cristina once said that she doesn't speak English because she belongs to the "Yankee go home generation"

No no no, bad information
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3uOtGZpiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soVUsuugQa0

... til the end ...

noesdeayer,

European host countries' people speak their own official languages just as L.A countries do. The French speak French to me unless I'm in the tourists' area that's a 20 minute walk away. I respect how workers there have to switch languages every minute. That's hard to do on call for 16 hours a day. I feel sorry for them. I cited the latter scenario to 'Redbeanz' so that she'd see things from that Parisian lady's position rather than feel disrespected. Nothing good comes from sweating the small stuff in a country where you aren't even a legal resident.

I envy your speaking Spanish and Portuguese. Thanks for all your inrfo. I didn't know that Colombians speak the best LA Spanish. (Lyon speaks the best French.)

------------------------
To those who find distinguishing nationalities "psychedelic" (meaning 'psychic' perhaps?), it isn't. It's called observing others.-how they dress and style themselves (although jeans seem ubiquitous), their physical features, gestures, builds, how they interact with others, move and negotiate public space. Different languages use different facial muscles even. No national culinary emblems need be worn!

Look at how street thieves choose targets, for example. Or at how as our economies change or suffer, we see newer and more visitors from Asia. In the past 2 years, we've had more coverage about and with different African countries and their peoples. This summer with the refugees' crises, we've become better able to notice which refugees are from exactly where in Africa and the Middle East.

To those who find distinguishing nationalities "psychedelic" (meaning 'psychic' perhaps?), it isn't. It's called observing others.-how they dress and style themselves (although jeans seem ubiquitous), their physical features, gestures, builds, how they interact with others, move and negotiate public space. Different languages use different facial muscles even. No national culinary emblems need be worn!

Look at how street thieves choose targets, for example. Or at how as our economies change or suffer, we see newer and more visitors from Asia. In the past 2 years, we've had more coverage about and with different African countries and their peoples. This summer with the refugees' crises, we've become better able to notice which refugees are from exactly where in Africa and the Middle East.

Really?

Redbeanz: Thanks for your PM.Sockhopper: Very interesting comment on how street thieves choose targets. I used to think that so many shady looking characters were asking me for directions because I was older (73) and knew my way around.However, lately I've begun to think that they spot me as foriegn and want to see if they can scam me.One never really knows.But as a native New Yorker,I never take my "street smarts"off.As an Argentine friend told me years ago,"Yo no tengo "calle ".Tengo "lleca" que no es lo mismo".,"lleca or yeca being lunfardo or B.A. slang for super street smarts.

noesdeayer,

European host countries' people speak their own official languages just as L.A countries do. The French speak French to me unless I'm in the tourists' area that's a 20 minute walk away. I respect how workers there have to switch languages every minute. That's hard to do on call for 16 hours a day. I feel sorry for them. I cited the latter scenario to 'Redbeanz' so that she'd see things from that Parisian lady's position rather than feel disrespected. Nothing good comes from sweating the small stuff in a country where you aren't even a legal resident.

I envy your speaking Spanish and Portuguese. Thanks for all your inrfo. I didn't know that Colombians speak the best LA Spanish. (Lyon speaks the best French.)

------------------------

Sockhopper, you seem to have lived in France for a long time. I am interested in knowing how long ago you were an expat living in Argentina, and how different you find it in France?

Also, would like some specific info on how street thieves choose targets. Very interesting and useful information.

Back