A lot of advice needed

They are INTERNATIONAL? I think they just teach some classes of German. I suspect almost ALL students are Argentine. There is no longer a German community here.
I disagree. There is a large German community in the Northern suburbs - in Olivos, La Lucila, Martinez, San Isidro. I happen to know quite a few people who send their children to the Goethe Schule - all of them have ties to Germany, and have at least German grandparents or even great-grandparents. Germanic roots go very deep.

I disagree. There is a large German community in the Northern suburbs - in Olivos, La Lucila, Martinez, San Isidro. I happen to know quite a few people who send their children to the Goethe Schule - all of them have ties to Germany, and have at least German grandparents or even great-grandparents. Germanic roots go very deep.
Very true, as well as Austrian and Swiss roots too. There is also a Dutch school too. There are very active chambers of commerce and social networks within the communities etc. Most kids at those schools despite being Argentine have dual / multiple nationality also. A lot of families in my circle send their kids there for primary school and the education is bi-lingual meaning most of the kids are fluent in German before they learn English. Then for high school they get sent to a bilingual English school meaning they come out trilingual before they are 18.

Are you Argentine? British? l think you need to attend the interview and find out what the salary is. A lot of your questions about Quilmes are answered in previous posts in response to the Australian who took a job there. Whatever happened to her? A number of readers advised her not to accept the job but she took it. Then, as some predicted, everything fell apart -- even worse than anyone could have imagined.

I'm neither. I have read the whole thread, yet I asked anyway because you know, things can change. Someone might have new info to share etc.

Yes the peso has lost maybe half it value since then. At that time the $55,000 was probably around $1,200USD per month. If they pay for accommodations and health insurance like the original poster then $1,200 is more than enough to survive. No, they won't pay you any part of the salary in USD.

I personally wouldn't want to live in Quilmes. There are some nice neighborhoods here and there, but on the whole it is a pretty unattractive area to live. There are bars, nightclubs and gyms. Everything is a bit spread out though.

Yes the peso has lost maybe half it value since then. At that time the $55,000 was probably around $1,200USD per month. If they pay for accommodations and health insurance like the original poster then $1,200 is more than enough to survive. No, they won't pay you any part of the salary in USD.

I personally wouldn't want to live in Quilmes. There are some nice neighborhoods here and there, but on the whole it is a pretty unattractive area to live. There are bars, nightclubs and gyms. Everything is a bit spread out though.

Thanks for the informative answer. I'd probably try to live in BA, if possible. But commuting seems to be the downside to that. What can you expect to pay for a crappy car that lasts a year or two?

There is a train that goes from BA to Quilmes, along with many buses and combis. Not sure on the cost of a crappy car. Since you'd be going the opposite direction of most traffic I'd assume the commute wouldn't be bad, but I don't know.

A trivia note on people with Germanic roots: quite often their dogs happen to be either German Shepherds or Dachshunds.... :)

Back