A lot of advice needed

St. George's College is "a private, non-profit..." which has been functioning since the 1900's. I doubt the institution will go bankrupt anytime soon.

A 2nd income provided thru working remotely so spousal salary won't be affected by any fluctuations in currency etc. Net salary of $55,000 being offered in pesos with adjustments TWICE per year is adequate for the length of a 2-yr contract. Living quarters, utilities and medical ins costs included will hedge your bet against inflation. Further devaluation of the peso is a given. So I would purchase dollars legally every month with any savings derived from your income in pesos.

It is anyone's guess how the economy will react by 2020. By then you will have been here 2 years to appraise your particular situation first hand.

Does the school you'd be working at increase their fees with inflation? Or are their prices given in US dollars? If either of these are true, and you don't get a salary fixed in US dollars, then you're just giving free money to the school. In other words, they will keep raising their prices (in pesos), and you'll keep getting the same salary (in pesos).

Gracielle that was kind of my thinking. They’ve obviously weathered some financial storms before. Which is no guarantee of course. It’s possible that things will go to pieces worse than ever before but that’s true anywhere to an extent. The school must be doing ok because they actually opened a second campus in the north of Buenos Aires a while back (not sure exactly when but more than 10 years I think) so they’re obviously getting students.

So no guarantees but it’s not like taking a job with a start up company or similar.

camel I don’t know the answer to your questions and to me it’s not super important. I want to have enough to live comfortably and not end up in the middle of life endangering civil unrest. As long as I’m getting a decent deal I’m ok. I wouldn’t see what you’re describing as ‘free money to the school’. They are a business, they take a much greater risk than I do in terms of finances (eg I worked in Tokyo when the big earthquake hit, student numbers dropped dramatically in international schools but they still had to pay our salaries). The point is if I agree to a contract then as long as the school keeps their side of it I don’t go looking for reasons to complain. If they are swinging a better deal for themselves then at least I don’t have to worry about them going bankrupt!

Honestly if I wanted to maximize my financial situation I wouldn’t be considering South America, let alone Argentina. Then again if that was my aim I would never have left Tokyo for Bulgaria (which would have been a shame, I absolutely loved Bulgaria). I’m after adventure and trying to make sure I don’t make a bargain that will cost me money in pursuit of it.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far. It’s all helping me think things through and form a better idea of what might happen if I do take this job (if of course I’m even offered it).

while it is true that argentines eat a lot of meat, there will, no doubt, be several small family owned fruit and vegetable stands within walking distance, and each will have its strong and weak points. You are far enough from the center that its unlikely that the more recent hipster veggies will be there- arugula, or tiny tomatoes in many colors- but you will have a solid selection of fruits and veggies in season. As you get to know your local stand, you can often persuade them to bring in things they dont normally stock- almost every stand in the greater BA area sends somebody in to the giant wholesale produce market every single morning, very early. And most veggies are available, if they choose to buy them. While there are supermarkets in argentina, the smaller, family owned businesses are usually better quality, more amenable, and, of course, a bit more expensive. So for generic staples, you shop at Coto or Carrefour, and for better quality items, especially local ones, you find a plethora of small shops that specialize. Some things you will need to get in the center of the city, others you will find in Quilmes. Most likely, there is not as much organic or exotic ingredients available in Quilmes, but a once or twice a month trip to Barrio Chino, or to the better health food stores, or to Mercado Bonpland, will cover your needs. In season, there are bigger farmers markets that move around, including the big one at the Agronomy campus of the University. Usually that one is only once a month, but great to visit. The food scene in general has been improving steadily in the 11 years I have lived part time in Argentina, and better quality produce and ingredients are available. There will be home-made pasta stores nearby, too, if you eat that. Made fresh every day. I have a half dozen within walking distance of my house, but I live in more upscale area- but still, there will a couple in quilmes, along with delis, bakeries, and other specialty shops. Generic cheese is pretty bad in Argentina, and the good stuff may or may not be available in quilmes, but its in the center. There are many quality local products that I cook with- artesenal olive oils, goat cheese, free run eggs, dried fruits and nuts. You will find good food, it will just take some foraging, learning your barrio, and the occasional trip into town to get things you just cant find out there.

Thanks for all that information Ries. I don't like arugula so I won't miss that :). But the suggestion to ask for particular things is a good one if we do end up there. Once we settle in and get the lie of the land it's useful to know that's a possibility.

Home-made pasta stores sound dangerously good.

Generic cheese in Argentina can't be any worse than China or Japan and I have a strange love for awful cheese (think stuff wrapped in plastic) so I'll be fine if I can't access good cheese (and my husband's vegan so no cheese for him). Foraging and learning where to find good things locally is one of our favorite parts of settling into a new country so all that sounds interesting to me.

Sounds like we won't starve and won't have to have a steady diet of pizza (which is how my husband remembers his previous travels to Argentina) which is a good thing.

Being vegetarian in Argentina is doable, not always easy but doable. You may even be able to convince the dieteticas with artesanals to broaden their selection if you are looking for something specific and you know the marca (brand) is Argentine. Just post on this forum what you’re looking for and you’ll get some hits from us foodies who love to venture out in the markets. You also have choices of lentils, legumes, Argentina’s varietals of oils and vinegars (artesanals), and wines to go along with your meals. Imports will likely be either difficult to find or pricey, but for your occasional trip to BA, someone will usually chime in to a post about finding specific foods.

If there are some that you rely on, definitely check here before leaving your present location...getting things that are shipped can be an ordeal, and paying fees and taxes will be a likely result, if it arrives. Some things are easiest brought with you in your checked baggage. My recommendation, if you do get the job: travel to other places besides BA in Argentina during your vacation time. Anywhere along the Andes, north to south, will be adventurous for shopping in markets. In the North, you’ll find influences on spices and flavors from the neighboring countries and Inca cultures. Some areas like La Rioja have Eastern European influences that make finding those spices easier in their markets and even for sale in some restaurants. Chocolates and specialty desserts for every Patagonian area. El Boson and surrounding areas have fruits and berries. There’s so much more to experience, flavor-wise, if you’re open to exploring the rest of the country...you’ll find some treasures. Oh, and the sierras area (Cordoba province) is also good for this type of exploring, food and culture.

Best wishes on getting the job offer. I love Argentina. Hopefully, you get to experience its many cultures and flavors.

Kaminoge.....I want to have enough to live comfortably and not end up in the middle of life endangering civil unrest.

Civil unrest....during marches and demonstrations where Gendarmeria Nacional intervenes to control minority (in numbers) violent factions usually takes place in the capital around the Casa Rosada and the Obelisco. But not in January and never on a Sunday!

Quilmes, like other areas of the province of BA, have incidents of street robberies and home invasions. Neighborhoods in the capital are not exempt from similar acts. New residents become familiar with the lay of the land and exercise caution at all times.

Best to you!

Thanks for the additional comments.

Ceviche I'll see if they offer me the job but I appreciate the encouragement. I tend to think new experiences should be embraced, that's why I'm looking to a region of the world I've never even traveled in. I prefer to move to countries I've never set foot in, makes it more interesting and in some ways easier if you really have no preconceived notions.

GMXam. Thanks for the advice. We'd definitely be using holidays to explore outside of BA (no point in using holidays for that when we can pop up there on a weekend). We love to travel (which is why I enjoy this career so much) and Argentina is big and diverse enough to keep us entertained for quite some time. There's no food we rely on (except for the broad category of legumes and vegetables) and we like to cook so we'll be fine as long as we can access the basics (although of course the other stuff is nice). The closest we have to a "can't do without" is rice.

gracielle thanks for that advice. I'm assuming getting used to the lay of the land will be something I have to be careful about. For the past decade I've been spoiled by living in ridiculously safe cities (walk home by myself at 2am with no dramas type places) and so that will be a change. But it seems that anywhere in South America I'm unlikely to have the same level of safety that I had in Sofia or Tokyo. I certainly don't get that level of safety in Australia.

Yes, St George’s. Authentic Argentine sounds quite pleasant. We’re not the most exciting of people so not living somewhere super happening doesn’t sound too awful. I like your description Ríes. Although of course my imaginings and the reality are probably not exactly in tune.

Does anyone know what the food situation is like in Quilmes? Are there decent size supermarkets? Markets for fruit/veg? We’re vegetarians (I know, I know... maybe not the best dietary habit to have in Argentina!) and so access to all the basic ingredients is going to be important. We’ve also been shockingly spoiled - this move would be coming from 5 years in Bulgaria which was amazingly (and surprisingly) great for vegetarians.

They have the best prices in BsAs on all organic and natural stuff and I believe they deliver free within Quilmes, at least on some min order amount.
http://tiendadelaaurora.com/
There is also a monthly fair in Quilmes that has a better quality and fresher / cheaper mostly non sparayed local veggies.
Palermo Hollywood has at least 3 organic markets within a few blocks from each other - producers bring it all fresh Wednesdays and Saturdays,
so it might be worth taking a trip every so often. As fas as the fruits go - you'll never find anything here even remotely close to Bulgarian - citrus are ok in season and if you are lucky the kiwis are sometimes edible, watermelon and melons in season are fine. Tropical fruits rot before they ripe and the quality is terrible - occasional mango from Brazil would surprise you, that's about it..

Back