A momento from buenos aires

What about some Dulce de Leche? The brand Patagonian Life is packaged nicely. Or maybe some authentic Argentine wine? There's a neat shop in Puerto Madero that has a lot of pretty home stuff, very nicely presented and all (or most) "Industria Argentina". I can't remember the name of the shop, but it's next to the Hilton at the corner of Macacha Guemes and Olga Cossettini.

You don't say how much money you would like to spend. A momento would seem to mean a nice but small gift from Buenos Aires. I found some great looking wallets and coin purses, in a great variety of colors, and good quality leather at Rossi & Caruso on Posadas close to Patio Bullrich in Recoleta. Definitely suitable for anyone with good taste. The coin purses are a nice size and they are only around U$S40.00. They look more expensive.

Thanks much to all. Can anyone recommend a children's toy or clothing store in Recoleta?

balle

I found that a pass through the fair in Recoleta on weekends is a great place to find inexpensive but very Argentine gifts. Leather purses, some nice silver jewery (among a plethora of junk), the ubiquitous Rodocrosita (rose quartz-the national stone of Argentina), mates, and lots of other interesting stuff.
Even things I thought would be goofy (Evita memorabilia, Che Guevara T-shirts, etc.) took on a certain coolness when you get back to wherever.

Just my 2 centavoes-hope it helps!

David

Try Ayacucho between Santa Fe and Arenales for children's clothes in Recoleta. There are several stores: "Red and Blue" has decent quality at very good prices, especially the sale items. There is also a toy store further "up" Ayacuhuo (two or three blocks) on the right side.

For a really special person, I recommend the tea boxes they make here. They are made out of wood and alpaca (a mix of several metals) silver and make a great gift. You can get them in many stores or the weekend street fair in Recoleta. One of the stores I bought from is in Galerias Shopping Center and is called SOBEK. That store has some great items for gift giving that are reasonably priced. Another nice gift is a picture frame made out of the alpaca silver or leather.

Have you been to Patio Bullrich shopping center at Libertador and Libertad?

It's by far the best...and doesn't attract the hoards of teenagers and tourists like Alto Palermo does.

Back