A Pet Linguistic Peeve

This post is very satisfying as I work with young writers and have been insisting on across the board use of 'Argentine,' on my websites and have met much resistance. I've doubted myself because some dictionaries insist that Argentine should only be used as an adjective and not a noun but the AP stylebook says Argentine is the preferred term, even though it is a throwback to when they called this country 'The Argentine'.

You can find examples in its historical use. Did you know that less than a hundred years ago to refer to someone wealthy people would say, 'He's as rich as an Argentine'?
Reminds me of an 80yr old English widow I met in the London Argentine embassy some years ago. She was terribly posh and talked so passionately about her long life in the Argentine with her beloved dead husband. So let's go full hog and forget calling it Argentina and start calling it the Argentine!

And no english speaker would say 'United Stateser' but Argies still get all riled up by the term 'American', which in english is the only way to describe someone from the states.

I never say "American" to describe my nationality. I usually say I'm from California and let them fill in the blanks. Or I say I was born in North Dakota and they respond with a blank stare until I add "Fargo."

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! Linguistics fans of the world unite.

*snip*

Argentina has a stronger economy than Canada and Australia!

http://www.cronista....30822-0103.html

Edited for accuracy by Ministerio de Economía y Finanzas Públicas y Presidencia de La Nación.

Aqui%2Bla%2Bnacion%2Btambi%25C3%25A9n%2Bcrece.jpg

I too hate the use of anything except Argentine. Though admittedly, I am partial to the term Argie(s).

"Argentine" goes against the linguistic norms of nationality nomenclature, a quaint, somewhat xenophobic (and founded on racism) term like Spaniard, when it is better to use a term like Spanish, an accepted suffix that the British prefer for themselves and their home nations , but refuse to give to their historic enemies.

Countries like Canada, Australia, Austria, India, Colombia, Bolivia, and almost all other countries ending with "a" have their nationalities and national adjectives ending in "-ian", so why not the ARGENTINIANS?

No Spanish speaker would ever say "argentiniano."

Then call them "Argentinos" if you want to respect what they "say". I refuse to say Argentine, as i know it is an historical slur, even if many Argentinians themselves use it. But that is my prejudice. I also agree that any use is fine as long as it is said with respect, such as my calling the English Limey's, which is what we called them in Canada. Only the most sore-headed English ever resented this, as it was done with respect in most cases. Since most Argentines do not seem to care, I say let's call them whatever of the the three each of us feels comfortable with in terms of respecting them.

Ive never liked the word Argentine and always say Argentinean. Sorry.

Back