A Tango Show Which Is Not A Rip-Off?

I went to the one in Barracas, Senor Tango. Can't say I liked it. Impressive when the horses rushed on stage, but didn't feel very authentic. Also, don't cry for me argentina is not a tango! The end lays on the eva peron routine a bit thick.

Definitely one for the tourists, but some of the singers were technically excellent. Just lacked a bit of grit and passion for me. Skipped the dinner, that part (about an extra 400 per head) really is a rip off.

I filmed a show at "Cafe de los Angeles". I get dragged to these things by people when they come visit, and while it is "tango for export" the show was very well done.
The milonga at Cafe Ideal is probably the best for tourists, as only the best dancers dance there.
(please note I am not a fan of tango nor dance it, so this is my impression).
And now for some shameless self promotion, a tango I filmed a few years back (before there was HD on youtube!)
http://youtu.be/SlpQWbty87o
People love it, but it is not authentic.

People love it, but it is not authentic.

Why do you say it's "not authentic"? It's traditional "tango escenario" (except for that one contortionist move). Nothing to do with social tango in the milongas, but that's not what show tango is about.

Nice filming, Montauk_Project. If you wanted to film tango dancers again, I would suggest some different framing at certain points. . . if the audience is tango dancers.

I send my clients to the Tango shows in the Centro Cultural Borges. Good quality, starts early, inexpensive and no eating an indifferent dinner involved!

The milonga at Cafe Ideal is probably the best for tourists, as only the best dancers dance there.
(please note I am not a fan of tango nor dance it, so this is my impression).

Anybody who believes the best dance at Confiteria Ideal doesn't know the milongas. We'll forgive you for that error since you're not a fan or dancer.

Another possibility might be the new tango musical MIREYA at Teatro Presidente Alvear, Corrientes 1659 where every seat in the house is a good one.

Try Sabor a Tango. It's not so expensive and in a lovely old theatre. Sometimes people want to see a proper glitzy tango show with lots of slits and trucos, not just authentic tango dancing in a milonga. Nothing wrong with that!
https://saboratango.com.ar/

I actually have the exact same 'problem', two (elderly but poor) dutch visitors coming over. Just checked Sabor a Tango, their dinner show is USD 120, which is very expensive in my book.
- Are there any combined dinner/show/milonga that has the best of both worlds, i.e. nice food, nice place, nice tango and not crazy expensive?
- I noticed on the Tortoni site that they have a short Tango twice/night, entrada Ar$ 220, food separately. Is that (and their food) any good or does anybody have a better alternative?

By the way, isn't illegal to charge in USD? How do they do it, what if you turn up at these places with just a bunch of pesos? Do (must) they use the official rate?

Thanks!

I actually have the exact same 'problem', two (elderly but poor) dutch visitors coming over. Just checked Sabor a Tango, their dinner show is USD 120, which is very expensive in my book.
- Are there any combined dinner/show/milonga that has the best of both worlds, i.e. nice food, nice place, nice tango and not crazy expensive?
- I noticed on the Tortoni site that they have a short Tango twice/night, entrada Ar$ 220, food separately. Is that (and their food) any good or does anybody have a better alternative?

By the way, isn't illegal to charge in USD? How do they do it, what if you turn up at these places with just a bunch of pesos? Do (must) they use the official rate?

Thanks!

$120 USD? That's quite cheap for a tango show in Buenos Aires.

This is what Tango de Escenario (Show Tango) used to look like. It actually used to look like tango.

This is a nice compilation of tango filmed in private parties in the 1960s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmeN2rxrj2k

Don't go to a show. Go to a MILONGA where the entrance is 50-60 pesos, sit at a table, order what you want to eat or drink and watch tango danced as it has always been by natives and foreigners in its natural setting. MUCH CHEAPER AND 100% authentic!

Don't go to a show. Go to a MILONGA where the entrance is 50-60 pesos, sit at a table, order what you want to eat or drink and watch tango danced as it has always been by natives and foreigners in its natural setting. MUCH CHEAPER AND 100% authentic!

Thanks, are there any recommended places?

Thanks, are there any recommended places?

It depends what you're looking for. Most tourists go to El Beso, La Viruta, Portenio y Bailarin and Salon Canning. If you want to go to a milonga where couples from the local neighborhood go and only dance with their spouse and there are virtually no tourists go to Club Glorias Argentinas on Bragado 6875 in Mataderos, or Círculo Trovador on Avenida del Libertador 1031 in Vicente Lopez.

Back