A Tango Show Which Is Not A Rip-Off?

There are many kinds of tango shows. It depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

Tango casas offer a complete show with dancers, singers, live orchestra, and dinner, catering to foreign clientele. (Senor Tango, Piazzolla, Esquina Gardel, Tango Porteno, etc.) Expensive.

Penas de tango have amateur singers with live accompaniment (piano and guitar) where you have dinner. Bar Rojelio has a pena de tango every Tuesday night and the first Friday of the month. Gascon 1460 between Honduras and El Salvador. Very affordable.

Restaurants around the city advertise a tango night with a singer and live music, sometimes with a dance couple. I discovered Bodega Campo on Rodriguez Pena 264 (San Nicolas) last week on Thursday when a female tango singer is accompanied by Norberto Vogel, bandoneonist, for two sets beginning at 10:30pm. Intimate little restaurant with great food and service. (I had ensalada Capresa and Fettuccini con salsa azul. OMG!)

El Juvenil mentioned above was formerly a dance hall Salon Bailable Juvenil until it closed in 2000. It went bankrupt and was sold at auction. It couldn't reopen as a milonga due to the narrow hallway entrance that didn't meet city regulations. It was one of the best places to see real milongueros dancing socially on a Saturday night. And the admission in those days was only $5.

Anyone who wants to see social tango can find it the milongas where those over 60 attend near the Congreso. The admission is 50 pesos plus the price of a drink.

Personally, I like the milongas, like at Confiteria Ideal. It's not a show, but in my opinion it is a much more authentic experience. It's where regular folks go to tango. They some times have a live orchestra and also professionals that do a few numbers. I like getting a table with a view of the dance floor and ordering a beer with a few empanadas and just watching people dance. Last time I went, the cover charge was under 50 pesos. But that was a while ago. I would think it is still under 100 pesos, though. And if you're a woman, expect to get invited out on the dance floor. Lot's of fun.

Some of the touristic tango shows are better than others. Some are worth the money (skip dinner and opt for show only).
Tango Portero on Cerritos near the Colon is a great show with fabulous dancers, some of whom have obviously been trained in ballet as well. Ditto for one of the shows at Centro Cultural Borges in the Galleria Pacifco - caveat- only one of the various shows presented can be thus described.Inquire at the ticket booth about the show with the full complement of dancers.
Tango Madero also has a good show. especially wen Raul Lavie headlines.

Confiteria Ideal is nice because of the historical significance of the building. But the only (arguably) good Milongas to go to there would be Friday late afternoon into evening, Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon between 3-8. Also beware there is no AC.
I also encourage all those who choose to go to a real milonga, even as a tourist only, to try and be respectful of the milonga dress code, which would be considered minimally business casual or as they say here "sport elegant ". Be aware places like Salon Canning are dressier, and la virtua, more casual.

Here is a free tango show on Tuesday at the City Legislature with live music and social dancing.

http://agendacultural.buenosaires.gob.ar/evento/legistango-2014-ciclo-de-tango-en-la-legislatura/6952

Back