A Wonderfully Witty Response To Putin's Nyt Op Ed

The humor is really in the subtle pieces of "Americana" thrown in and after being away so many years there were parts that I almost didn't get! But it's tongue in cheek! Also the thing abut "exceptional" is actually that we Americans are exceptional as in "different", not "best", and claims Putin had a bad translator regarding his use of this word (haha) ...please don't take this seriously! It is meant as a satire! It was NOT saying anything about Russians! I feel a little sad that something I was sharing to add some humor to our day may have offended someone.

There was another piece by Putin about love and it was actually really good. I think it was in the NewYorker. Here check this out: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/09/putin-oped-modern-love-column-new-york-times.html?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook

And I do think people on here need a bit more sense of humor, why is it that people take themselves so seriously?

"When we say we are exceptional, what we really are saying is we are different."

Not really. You are saying you are better.
You may not know this Gruk:

We are the most modest people in the world.
Also in this respect we are better than everybody else.

... we don't believe in American Exceptionalism but here are some reasons why we are .........exceptional (one of those reasons is immigration, the melting pot story..not unique friends...not unique!)

There is a significant number of Americans who are not happy about the strong government position on Syria. That's why this article was published in the NY Times. It resonates with opinions of the wide American public and there is no internal figure who has the balls to present their views. And if the NY Times is bad journalism for you it may be a good time to give up on newspapers altogether.

In my opinion there is a difference among "exceptional", "remarkable" and "special". By being a "melting pot" and a nation of immigrants USA is remarkable (and this is undeniable), but not exceptional (because there are other examples like Argentina).

Nobody admires Putin here. Even in Russia he faces serious problems with growing opposition. It is difficult to buy the story that it was the rebels who conducted the gas attacks. But regarding the dangers of the American Exceptionalism he is right on. Exceptionalism grows into the nationalism. And you can imagine possible subsequent developments.

For those not familiar with Dana Millbank:

Milbank covered the 2000 US Presidential election and the 2004 US Presidential election. He also covered US President George W. Bush's first term in office. After Bush won the 2000 election, Karl Rove asked the Washington Post not to assign Milbank to cover White House news.[sup][4][/sup] In 2001, a pool report penned by Milbank which covered a Bush visit to the US Capitol generated controversy within conservative circles.[sup][5][/sup] According to Milbank, the nickname given to him by the president is "not printable in a family publication."[sup][6][/sup]

Thought the OP-Ed by Milbank an amusingly good read. Thanks for sharing.

And Ben Bernanke just announced that QE (money printing) will continue until morale improves. There is nothing "exceptional" about a country adopting Argentinian monetary policies.

Good time to be in the money printing business. Someone somewhere is making a killing selling green ink.

Unfortunately for Mr Putin, he was sold a really mediocre idea by Kerry, Obama and the Polish gent who took original ownership of this Syrian solution. Obama stuck his foot in his mouth with his bullshit statement about RED LINES and is desperate to avoid anything that looks like another damn unwinnable incursion. So the BS team talked Putin into [his shot a Nobel] bailing out Assad and Obama in one big shot. Unfortuneately this approach will not work. It is going to blow up in Putins face just as he gets to enter the world stage [as a peace maker] for the first time and exit wearing egg.
There is no organization that can manage supervision, collection and destruction of the chemical weapons. No group will agree on the protocol for the execution of this grand plan and we will all get to witness another UN fumble in the Mid East end zone. It's way to late for action and it's never the right time for inaction. So we all get to sit back and watch another fools parade.

"When we say we are exceptional, what we really are saying is we are different."

Not really. You are saying you are better. And you act like it (I still love you America, BTW). But you do think you are better than everyone else. But hey, don't take my word for it.

You might want to modify your post along the following lines: "Many U.S. citizens think their country is better than most other countries." It's really a bit harsh to make the claim that everyone in the United States thinks they are better than any place else. P.S., the U.S.A. is not the only country with a lot of people who think like this.

Back