A year in a Slum

Status
Not open for further replies.
EQ:
I found your wife's story absolutely touching. I have worked with many Paraguayans in shantytowns over the last decade and I know what they have to struggle to survive not only in their own country but also in Argentina.

I found the whole patrona anecdote extremely disturbing, but I have a feeling she actually might not believe her own words.

ElQueso said:
"oh, how I miss the days of slavery. People like you don't understand how good you have it now. I'm sure one day those times will return."

Pls, don't get me wrong. I don't mean to put any doubts over ur wife's story but I believe that she said that to get into ur wife's head (which she did) because she was pissed to be left without a maid. Any time for ur wife to quit would have been inconvenient for that princess and I'm pretty sure she opened her mouth to hurt her where she knew it would hurt the most.

Hope I'm not offending you, it's just the way I understand the situation.

Cuore, certainly no offense whatsoever. I agree with what you say to a large extent. I know she didn't literally believe in slavery per se and that definitely it was mostly to get into my wife's head.

However, the attitude is something I've seen repeatedly between some rich and the poor in Paraguay. The attitude I've seen here (I wrote about it previously when I lived out in Pilar) is a watered down version of it, a bit more civilized.

But there are absolute mindsets there at least, that see levels of society on both sides, instead of equality. There are people with various levels of power (the rich, government workers, what have you, all the way down to the local kiosko owner who has the power of credit at times over his neighbor, very important in a subsistence-level farming environment) that absolutely take advantage of their position. There are others on the poor side who, even though they may not like it, accept things the way they are because that's the way it is.

That woman was one who probably never thought about the disparity between herself and her criada (I use the word that, at least in Paraguay [and I think here] means more of a servant relationship, rather than mucama, a more respected worker relationship which I see more of here).

Gringoboy said:
Tom, with great respect, what are you actually doing in that slum then?.

Good question.. but read the OP. I thought and that in my own ignorance I could take this on. My mother was and is a Social Worker I watched her pour her life out for the poor in the US, many of whom were immigrants.

She would work extreme hours for a very small salary and then share the the suffering with me even when I was a boy. But she was so serious about helping the poor even I wondered.

Perhaps that is why?

Mitch said:
It´s not hate. His story is clearly bogus along with his convaluded philosohphy. Most people don´t like getting lied to. If he lives near or in a slum it´s because he can not afford to live elsewhere.quote]

ROFLOL have you ever in your life taken just one second to think that the peple you around are more important that you? Mitch I think you should run for President you have the perfect mind set for that.

Poverty.. what is it? Why is it is that we have not defeated it? Ask yourself that question the next time you pass them on the street. How can we be so weak as a civilization? That we cannot beat something like poverty.. I know you will read this and think this and that. But really why is this prospering here or anywhere in the world? You? Me? What is the problem?

Poverty is a convoluted mess of human suffering that will shatter your understanding of humanity if you understand it. It is an overwhelming monster of lack in everything that relates to life.

The first world more good than harm.. tickle yourselves with that. Because the majority of humanity lives like this and have you noticed that the weather is changing. Americans in 5000 square foot homes tossing enough eatable garbage out the back door after the Super Bowl to feed a small city. Shame on us!

I am sitting here freezing my %$” off and waiting this. Now the 4th day for my clothes are on the line and have not dried. There are so many things when you pass them over you do not understand. For example I never had BO before in my life here my clothes last only a short time because we do not launder like the first world. Washed in questionable water and hang dry.. well &$•! ! My shirts smell like &$•! after about ten washes. So I am changing my clothes all the time to try and stop that.. and my clothes are taking days to dry now.

None of us have any idea.. we just think we do as I thought I did at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back