A year in a Slum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is always wrong to help financially. Sometimes it is all you can do except walk on by.

There is a young man (late 20's?) who essentially lives in the subway entrance I often use. He sits there quietly with his back against the wall and legs out in front while he smokes a cigarette or sips mate. He doesn't beg, he just seems to be watching the world go by. If I'm there early enough he's sleeping on the hard pavement.

For quite a while I thought he was just maybe watching the girls walk by. He is alert and seems intelligent. But as I began to actually pay attention to him, I realized there was more to it then that. Finally one day I saw him walking... or more accurately, TRYING to walk.

He has some type of neuromuscular disorder, with great difficulty controlling both fine and gross muscular movements. Everything he does is with the greatest of difficulty.

Instead of seeing a slacker or just another homeless man, I started seeing someone simply living his life as best as he can. He spends money not on beer or drugs but on cigarette and mate. That is what he wants, however disproportionate the cost to him. This is HIS life.

Both require motor skills almost beyond his ability. His hands are burn and scarred from the daily effort. He is barely able to speak, one reason perhaps he doesn't beg, but neither does he us a cup or sign asking for help. He is there, at his home, watching the world go by and living his life.

As much as I would like to, I can't save the world. Unfortunately, I can't even save one human being. But I certainly can make life a little more pleasant occasionally. Every time I see him I give him money, and sometimes I buy things I think he can use but wouldn't spend what little money he has on.

I greet him by name and ask how he's doing. Occasionally I'll sit with him for a few minutes, even though communicating is so difficult because of his problem and my poor Spanish. He is grateful though, not only for the financial assistance but also for not being invisible. In almost a year, I've never seen another commuter even acknowledge his existence.

Anyway, all I can do is give a little of my money and myself or walk on by. And I can't just walk on by.

tomdesigns said:
I had no idea what I was in for.. and we have all seen the photos on TV.. and other places. I had seen those things all my life on TV in the US, I used to have an account with feed the children.

But nothing compares to the reality.. as I said in an early post. When they burn their garbage with their waste in it my nostrils burned for days. There is no photo or blog post that can convey that.

There is nothing that can make you or me understand this unless you live in it. And I believe that is why it is over looked by us because we do not live in it, never have and never would.

Seeing a photo of dirty poor child is one thing. Having that dirty poor child standing in front of you is completely different.

Looking into those eyes with a first world education and some understanding of this place.. Well again I do not have words.

You have told your story here, just a suggestion to reach a wider audience as well. Having seen this, what are your plans? It was interesting to hear ElQuesos ideas and plans. Would be interesting to know yours, if your willing to share.

trennod said:
You have told your story here, just a suggestion to reach a wider audience as well. Having seen this, what are your plans? It was interesting to hear ElQuesos ideas and plans. Would be interesting to know yours, if your willing to share.

I cannot make plans at this point. I do not want to post photos or make a blog about this place. My friends here are very sensitive about the fact that they are poor. They are embarrassed about it, so I do not touch it. They know it and yet even they do not understand it.

The entire world has done the lets help the poor thing and failed. If anything, I think the first world needs help far more than these people. These people are not greedy, they do not make bombs, they do not invade other nations. Sure a few of them are thieves etc.. but what other options do they have.

We have had options and we have chosen to conduct ourselves in an inhumane manner. We have praised the wealthy and sought after selfish things. Shallow and lacking far more than even I have come understand.

Perhaps one day I will figure out a way to turn the table and make us wake up. Because the lets help the poor is not going to do it. Waking up the prosperous perhaps could do it but they are too busy with themselves.

arlean said:
First, there was nothing pompous about Tom's post. If you try to do something good, someone around will always criticize.quote]

Arlean,

Thanks for the kind words.. Honstely I have not been trying to do something good. I have been trying to understand not just the poor but us also. I have not only come to understand some things about the poor but us as well. Why would we let these things go on around us? What makes the poor.. poor. Why is it that most of humanity in this state?

tomdesigns said:
quote=Mitch;168991]Give your new homies money and social standing and they will be as big or bigger scumbags than those you speak of.

Strange thing.. ignorance and you can find it in most peculiar places. Give your new homies money! My new homies know I have money and they treat me no different than people around here without money. Hmmm interesting..

I can bring them cake… I would like to see that. I do not bring cake to anyone here but that might be a good starting point for you..
Would you know of slum that would have me?

You’re so talented educated and gifted. You can think clearly and process thought thru your education. You can make decisions and plans thru your education. You can seize opportunities with your intellect.
Yet you mock men, women and children that do not have your luxuries and gifts.[/quote]

Really, I am only mocking you. You are a sanctamonius and pompous buffoon and an attention starved phony. I buy none of your tall tale. Maybe you knocked up some girl that lived in a villa and you can´t support your family and were forced to live there. More than likely the vast majority of what you wrote is fiction.

steveinbsas said:
Does this include the reality that the OP's OP may be just a dramatic story?

Please prove me wrong, Tom.

How can we believe your story while you continued to post here during the past year without any comment about your life of deprivation?

Come to visit me.. where I am and spend a little time. I can gaurentee your safety. And perhaps your life never will be the same.

EDIT that is if you can wait two days for your clothes to dry on the line.. Juua ajaja aa it is cold and humid here at this time and my clothes are taking two to three days to dry on the line.

Mitch said:
Really, I am only mocking you. You are a sanctamonius and pompous buffoon and an attention starved phony. I buy none of your tall tale. Maybe you knocked up some girl that lived in a villa and you can´t support your family and were forced to live there. More than likely the vast majority of what you wrote is fiction.

Ohh I wish my life was that simple.. God how I wish this place only had such a simple and selfish effect on me.

And the few things I wrote about are just the tip of the Ice Burg.

Tom, cannot believe all the vitriol aimed at you. If they chose to doubt your intentions and take a shot at you by all means, but the personal nastiness and nature of these posts are sickening and maybe says more about some subconscious guilt on their part for doing nothing to bring awareness off or assistance to the poverty here. I for my own part do nothing even if I find the sight of filthy kids begging and living in the streets heartbreaking. That's my own issue to bear but I do appreciate your posts and your feelings of helplessness and despair.

It´s not hate. His story is clearly bogus along with his convaluded philosohphy. Most people don´t like getting lied to. If he lives near or in a slum it´s because he can not afford to live elsewhere. I have found him hostile in other threads. He edited a post of mine on this thread to make his words mine, so I would advise not crying for him. He is just sad and needy.

Tom, with great respect, what are you actually doing in that slum then?
I've read all of your posts on this subject, but can't for the life of me seem to find an objective.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a desire in you, NOT to upset the natural course of life in that slum simply by not helping them. You also say that you feel that they don't want to be helped.
Most of us who live in this country see the poverty every day....on the trains, the subway, the streets, the villas we pass when we are travelling etc etc.
Call me thick if you like, but I just don't understand where you are coming from, or to be more frank, where you are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back