About the dollar cost of living, crime, etcetera

mini said:
We've been here since 2008 and I can say the opposite is true for us. Our "standard of living" is much lower here than it was at home and my husband got promoted 2 grade levels (which is why we came). With a job higher up in the company we assumed we would have the same or similar QOL. It's not so.

I certainly can't complain about my life. I'm enjoying my time here. But it's not sustainable and we certainly can't plan ahead and as was said many times, there is no point in saving our money. So we spend what we make here and go home with nothing to start all over again.
It appears tht your husband earns a peso salary. Unless he is getting 30% per year raises, it is no wonder your QOL here is eroding as time passes.

darmanad said:
It appears tht your husband earns a peso salary. Unless he is getting 30% per year raises, it is no wonder your QOL here is eroding as time passes.

It's not just "over time". Even the very first year our QOL was not as good as it was at home. You just do not get nearly as much for your money here as you do outside. My husband's company gives about 20% raises.

MizzMarr said:
One point about this... from what I can tell the Chinese who run the supermarkets here work ALL THE TIME. The people who run the shop next door to my house work literally 7 days a week, from 8 in the morning until 10 at night. If (when) China takes over the world economic powers, they'll have earned it by putting leisure on the sacrificial altar.

That`s true, but is there any difference with the way people work at NYC?

However, you can make big profits without working 15x7. People here don`t work for less than 100% profit, usually 300 and over for just reselling.

mini said:
You just do not get nearly as much for your money here as you do outside.

Really depends on what you're talking about, and where "outside" is. Buenos Aires is miles cheaper and better value than life in London on a number of levels. But then london is generally an expensive city, and probably considered to be terrible value by people living elsewhere. All comes down to what your benchmark is, and what you value.

jp said:
Really depends on what you're talking about, and where "outside" is. Buenos Aires is miles cheaper and better value than life in London on a number of levels. But then london is generally an expensive city, and probably considered to be terrible value by people living elsewhere. All comes down to what your benchmark is, and what you value.

Of course it does. You came from Europe, earn pesos & have a better QOL. We came from Europe, earn pesos and do not have a better QOL.

Never mind the fact that we came from having 6 weeks holiday to 2 weeks, we can't afford to go on holiday now. In Europe we traveled at least once a month. We had two cars; now we can't afford one car. We lived in 140m2 semi detached house with a work studio for me in the garden. Now we live in 75m2 with a small balcony and I have to rent another apartment for me to work in. We used to save money, now we save nothing.

Again, my husband got promoted! You would think that would give us a better QOL. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. My husband makes a good living and we are enjoying our time here. It has always been a temporary situation for us, a 2-3 year adventure, a short term financial sacrifice for long term gain.

But like CityGirl my mind boggles as to the spending that's happening here. Even with our good salary I find lots of things here very expensive.

My feeling is that people are spending because of the eroding value of the currency. Also Argentines are not savers. They have a long history of instability and aside from buying 'bricks' (property) they tend to spend what they earn. Also there ARE people with good incomes who can afford to spend. Expats almost always live in the expat protection zone of Recoleta, Barrio Norte, Palermo, Zona Norte. They just don't see the reality of how most people live. Their world is remarkably small.

Argentines are definitely NOT savers. A long history of devaluations, military coups, and economic crises left them feeling that pesos, like lettuce, go bad in a matter of days. Those who can buy small rental apartments and keep a little stash of dollars - generally not more than three-month's worth of expenses.

No one I know worries about old age - their "jubilaciones" are tiny but they assume that in case of need their children and grandchildren will take care of them. Or their nieces and nephews, if they are childless.

Beats me how they can live happily like that, but they do. "The future" seems to be an alien concept around here.

The original article which began the thread talks about the economic boom that Argentina is experiencing today. This is certainly true and the boom is driven by exports of agricultural commodities and autos and other manufactured goods to Brazil (which is also booming). Argentina, Brazil and most other South American countries are doing well economically, mainly based on exports. Most of these exports are commodities going to China. The risk is that Argentina and other countries are now highly dependent on this one customer for their exports. If the Chinese economy slows these exports which are fueling the boom could dry up overnight. Argentina and countries could go from boom to bust very quickly. I think this is a possibility people are not paying very much attention to.

Here's my problem: If no one saves how do they get together the money to buy an apartment?

Good question about how they get the money to buy. From what I can see few people earn enough to save to buy. They either have a place already that they can sell or they inherit property that they can sell. Any other ideas?

Back