About the dollar cost of living, crime, etcetera

SaraSara

Registered
From Live and Invest Overseas -

Dear Live and Invest Overseas Reader,

"Vicki and I returned to Argentina last month after a six-month absence," writes Intrepid Correspondent Paul Terhorst. " We're installed in our home and enjoying the spring here.

"My impressions so far:

"The Argentine economy continues the boom, the dollar cost of living is doubling every three years in this country, and street crime has become a bigger problem.

"First, the boom. Argentina enjoys solid growth, perhaps 6% or so. (The government uses phony inflation figures, so it's hard to nail down growth rates.) Car, appliance, and computer sales are hitting record levels. Restaurants, bars, supermarkets, and shopping centers fill up. By almost any measure, the good times roll. We've been living here, or coming here off and on, for some 30 years. I've never seen anything like the current prosperity.

"Three sectors fuel the boom. First, worldwide food and grain prices in general and soy bean prices in particular continue to rise. Argentina exports food and cashes in.

"Second, tourists from the United States, Europe, and especially Brazil are showing up in record numbers. Recently we've also seen a huge increase in Asian tourism.
"When Vicki and I moved here in 1981 there were only four or five four-star hotels in Buenos Aires, almost exclusively for businessmen. Now there are dozens of four- and five-star hotels, and they often fill up. Argentina used to be considered a backwater, too out of the way for serious tourism. But the world has grown smaller, and Argentina has taken its place on the tourist map.

"Finally, foreigners continue to buy real estate here—farms and ranches, apartments and houses, beach and tourist places. Again, Brazilians lead the way.

"Note that all three growth engines are bringing dollars into the country. This deluge of dollars from abroad means we're seeing an unrelenting increase in the dollar cost of living. The most recent Big Mac index shows that Argentina now costs about the same as the United States, Japan, and Britain.

"And it's going to get worse. As I said, I figure the dollar cost of living here doubles roughly every three years. When Vicki and I built a house in the countryside in 2004, the monthly homeowner expenses were US$100. By 2007 they were US$200. Today they're US$400.
"Similarly, the tiny, family-run hotel we used to stay at in Buenos Aires cost US$10 in 2004. It's US$40 today.

"The all-you-can-eat restaurant downtown was US$2 in 2004; it's US$7 today. Empanadas (small meat pies) went from US$2 a dozen to US$10 a dozen over the same period.

"You might say that US$40 for a modest hotel room seems fine. Eating for US$7 seems cheap. However, as inflation is running at 25% to 30% a year and the dollar is held constant, increases are built in. If this trend continues, it means that, in a few years, that tiny old hotel room could be US$80 and that meal could be US$14.

"Earlier this month the government announced that they plan to continue their strategy through 2011 and beyond, allowing only about 5% devaluation. The newspapers call it seguro de cambio, that is, exchange-rate assurance. For an expat living here, this means we're assured that the dollar cost of living will continue on its current path.

"As I mentioned, my other impression of Argentina on this return trip has to do with crime. This country is suffering an epidemic of it.

"I knew things were getting bad when I came across a new word. A couple of months ago, while traveling in India, I read the Argentine paper online and saw an article lamenting salideras. I had never heard the word salidera. I figured it had to do with salida, or exit, coming out. But I had a hard time imagining how an exit could be dangerous.

"I later found out the word refers to an attack on a person coming out of a bank. A bank cashier can make a quick call on his cell phone when someone withdraws a large amount of cash. Accomplices on the street then track the target, hold a gun to his head, and steal the money.

"In another version, the bad guys pretend to buy your apartment. Argentines do real estate deals in cash, usually with U.S. hundred-dollar bills. So the 'buyer' pays you the money for your apartment, then, as soon as you leave the bank or office with the money, the buyer's accomplice steals it. To avoid such attacks, sellers are now hiring armored trucks to take the cash to their banks.

"In our case, a salidera hit close to home our first day back in the country. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires last month, we stayed in town with friends. That night our friends got a call; there was a salidera at the exchange house where they normally get money.

"Kidnappings, assault and battery, and other violent crimes continue. In my experience there's rarely more than one degree of separation between any Argentine and violent crime. That is, every Argentine I know has been a recent victim of violent crime or has a close friend or family member who was.

"In a sense the current populist, leftist government encourages crime. The president seems to believe the old Marxist adage that 'property is theft.' By definition, then, if you have something or own something, you stole it. Criminals are considered victims of social injustice.

"With this view, the perps become the victims (of social injustice), the victims the crooks (they had the property). Simple.

"Other factors also contribute to the crime wave. The police or their dependents seem to account for a lot of the most violent crime, especially kidnappings. Drug use has gone up, and Argentina has become a transit point for drugs going to Europe. The criminal justice system works hardly at all; most people in Argentine prisons have never even been charged.

"Conclusion? What do we think of B.A. this visit?

"Again, we're enjoying the economic boom and the springtime in this city we've come to know well over decades.

"But I sure wish we could get some relief on the other two problems."

Kathleen Peddicord

================

About "salideras" - most people know enough to close real estate transactions inside banks, in private conference rooms reserved for things like that. Not even car dealers take cash nowadays - instead, you are given the dealership's account number, and transfer the money directly from your bank to theirs.

"Cash" has become another four letter word in Argentina, not to be said out loud.

Mr Terhorst's assertion that the dollar cost is doubling every 3 years is wrong because his premise that the exchange rate of the dollar has and will remain constant is wrong. His analysis overlooks the change in the dollar exchange rate from about 3 to almost 4 in the past 2 years. That's a 33% rise in dollar value which has compensated for at least half of the real (not government measure) rise in peso prices in that same time frame.
Hard currencies (assuming the US$ may be so considered) generally hold or increase their value against local currencies in countries that suffer from excessive inflation.
The steady and fairly rapid increase in the dollar cost of living in the time frame of 2001 (when Arg defaulted on its international debt and the peso went off the artificially maintained 1-1 ratio to 4 to 1 overnight) through 2007 will not be sustained. That gradual increase in peso value was a correction from the horrific blow the peso took as a result of the government default.

Let's face it. The peso was so cheap and the dollar so strong back in 2001, and continuing for the following 3 or 4 years, that Arg was a paradise for foreigners (with hard currencies). It still is relatively cheap and will probably remain so now that the government has raided the social security/pension fund to pay operating expenses. The peso prices (inflation) may increase somewhat faster the dollar exchange rate for a while longer, but when the exchange rate is calculated into the equation there is no way the cost of doillar living in Arg will double every 3 years in the future. Ultimately, based upon the government's fiscal mismanagement, I expect the exchange rate of the dollar to hold up sufficiently well against the peso that BA will continue to be a very affordable city for those with dollars - even as the dollar struggles against the euro and other currencies.

darmanad said:
Mr Terhorst's assertion that the dollar cost is doubling every 3 years is wrong because his premise that the exchange rate of the dollar has and will remain constant is wrong. His analysis overlooks the change in the dollar exchange rate from about 3 to almost 4 in the past 2 years. That's a 33% rise in dollar value which has compensated for at least half of the real (not government measure) rise in peso prices in that same time frame.
Hard currencies (assuming the US$ may be so considered) generally hold or increase their value against local currencies in countries that suffer from excessive inflation.
The steady and fairly rapid increase in the dollar cost of living in the time frame of 2001 (when Arg defaulted on its international debt and the peso went off the artificially maintained 1-1 ratio to 4 to 1 overnight) through 2007 will not be sustained. That gradual increase in peso value was a correction from the horrific blow the peso took as a result of the government default.

Let's face it. The peso was so cheap and the dollar so strong back in 2001, and continuing for the following 3 or 4 years, that Arg was a paradise for foreigners (with hard currencies). It still is relatively cheap and will probably remain so now that the government has raided the social security/pension fund to pay operating expenses. The peso prices (inflation) may increase somewhat faster the dollar exchange rate for a while longer, but when the exchange rate is calculated into the equation there is no way the cost of doillar living in Arg will double every 3 years in the future. Ultimately, based upon the government's fiscal mismanagement, I expect the exchange rate of the dollar to hold up sufficiently well against the peso that BA will continue to be a very affordable city for those with dollars - even as the dollar struggles against the euro and other currencies.

You are correct they are overstating it a little. If I look at just the last three years with estimating inflation at 20% in 2008, 20% in 2009, and 25% in 2010 the cumulative inflation over that 3 year period would be around 80% in Pesos. At the beginning of 2008 the Peso was about 3.10 to the dollar, today its about 4.00 to the dollar or a depreciation of about 30%, so the dollar based inflation over the last three years is about 50% Fifty percent is still pretty significant increase in only three years. I agree this can't go on forever but we'll have to wait to see how long this lasts.
A friend of mine complained that he went out to dinner last week in B.A. 2 small lomos, 2 salads, and half a bottle of wine for $400 pesos, very pricey. I don't know of any country that has sustained this kind of inflation that didn't suffer significant economic problems in the end.

The only information I would add to the discussion is a link to German site Trends-Visions . When you look at the overall information objectively, Argentina is doing pretty well... Not as good as they could be doing compared to other players....but certainly better than many Argentines assume.

Be sure to click on the graph to move to the next one.

I am being completely serious - where the hell are people getting the money to shop? Is it "who the hell knows what will happen tomorrow so lets spend all our money today?" that is happening?

Because I don't have kids, earn a salary in dollars and still wince every time I go out these days. Everything seems expensive to me. I took a cab from Canitas to Recoleta and it was 30 pesos. The price of clothes is astronomical. Lunch for two in a cheap place is 80 pesos. My health insurance is almost 900 a month.

Seriously, where are people getting the money? Local salaries can't be keeping up with inflation. So how are people doing it? Putting it all on credit cards?

I totally agree.
Every weekend I see people walking around with huge branded shopping bags, like Tommy Hilfiger.
Taxi fare was just increased over night and we paid almost double to go from Centro to Palermo ( it was 20+ on Friday night and almost 40 on Saturday).
The decent dinner costs each of us 80-100 pesos.

I'm curious about local salaries. How much would be average and how much is high, let's say for starting salary for a graduate? mid-career?

Citigirl Im with you 100% on this incredulity thing...I stopped by a shopping last week (a Thursday) to get a balloon for my son´s birthday and to say it was packed was no exaggeration. I waited in a line of 10 ladies to go the bathroom, nearly all with shopping bags. Thats mid month, mid week full on shopping in the middle fo the day - when I´m usually working and never see this reality. Last week one of our Project Coordinators (shes 23) who earns 3600 per month (before tax) told me she bought her 15yr old brother a netbook for his birthday...I was surprised that someone at an income level many would consider low to average would spend so much on a regular birthday...heck Im getting old -crack open the champagne and foie gras and let the good times roll....we can always flee the country in 2 years and leave the debts behind!

citygirl said:
I am being completely serious - where the hell are people getting the money to shop? Is it "who the hell knows what will happen tomorrow so lets spend all our money today?" that is happening?

Because I don't have kids, earn a salary in dollars and still wince every time I go out these days. Everything seems expensive to me. I took a cab from Canitas to Recoleta and it was 30 pesos. The price of clothes is astronomical. Lunch for two in a cheap place is 80 pesos. My health insurance is almost 900 a month.

Seriously, where are people getting the money? Local salaries can't be keeping up with inflation. So how are people doing it? Putting it all on credit cards?

Good point, I think you are right, people are spending today whatever they have. Better to spend what you have today then have your money worth a lot less in a few months. The worst hit are the poor who have little prospect of their incomes keeping up.

Many people fail to understand the boom that Argentina is in atm . Tourism is very strong, commodities are getting dearer and wages have increased enormously since 2005. Also a large majority of people earn cash incomes that are not connected to their work ie from rental properties with rents equivalent to european standards . There is a tremendous amount of monies around and very low unemployment.

citygirl said:

Multiple factors, and let's be honest, it's still quite cheap to live here (much more than in Paris).

Some of the factors :
- 30 to 50% of the domestic transactions (for a service, buying, ..) are done "in black"
- you are Argentinean and you know implicitely that another crisis will occur in a few years
- you are given a credit card with 0% interest on 12/36 months (big winner with inflation)
and so on...

Another point : Of course, nothing is that easy for the majority of Argentineans, the ones you will never cross in a Las Canitas restaurant or in a Palermo Hollywood bar at 4am.

Back in 2004, I was paying my maid 60 pesos per day (8 hours), how much maids charge nowadays, 6 years after = 13 to 14 pesos per hour (about 100/110 pesos for 8 hours = 60% increase in six years).
Talk to a carnicero from an humble village = people have been spending less for meat for the past 18 months.

This situation is not sustainable, not for us, but for the lower classes (ok, now a portrait of the Che :p )

I thought inflation was priviledging lower classes against the "owners", here it's the opposite :D

Back