Abundance of plastic bags..

Liam, There are plenty of good reasons to boycott Walmart and this is yet another one!

I was just having this conversation with my roommate today at Coto, equipped with my own bags - it gives me panic attacks if I think too much about the absurd use of plastic, here, there, and everywhere.

If only we could all follow Ireland's amazing lead; alas I think it is a long time coming. But even though they sometimes think I'm crazy when I insist that NO I do not need it double bagged and NO it will not break (they aren't that weak, people) and when I fight with the guy at Coto to get him to put the sticker directly on a melon instead of in a bag (a fight I usually lose, but I'm with you Emily - I try to do all my fruit shopping at verdulerias, they are very accomodating of my no-plastic mania).

Another thing I try to do is spread the message. When I'm at a check-out and I say "I brough my own bags" I try to say it loud enough so the people behind me hear me, and if I'm feeling especially frisky - or if they are giving me a hard time - I say something along the lines of "we need to use less plastic, plastic kills."

I'm sure most people ignore me but if I can get a few people thinking differently, then THEY can get a few people thinking differently, and on and on down the line, well... maybe it's progress?

I'd also love to compost but I think it's a lost cause here.

The bags from Disco are overprinted "REUTILIZA las bolsas con las que hacés las compras" Even so I still find it hard not to come away with more new ones.

Hey Liam,

Hope yer well,Listen get over the plastic bag issue,theres tonnes more issues here.
The carteneros don't have a clue about recycling,they are looking for profit,the way you can help is by labelling the bags,comida,ropas,carton etc Thus improving your personal environment.

Another good method is the F**k you method,if you want to use your bags use em.Ten minutes of fighting and they will give up, a thank you and you will be remembered.

Hope the hash is going good,the running kind not the smokable..

K

Back