Accident inside colectivo

Reinaldo

Registered
A few nights ago my wife and I struck up a conversation with an American woman while riding a colectivo through Palermo. She had two small children with her. Suddenly, as the bus turned, one of her kids fell out of the seat, flew across the aisle, and smacked the back of her head against the other side of the aisle. The bus driver stopped the bus, checked on the baby, and suggested that she be checked in a nearby public hospital (Fernandez). He then requested that all passengers except her, her children, and my wife and I get off the bus. He took us all to the hospital, helped the woman check in, and accompanied her while the doctor immediately attended to the young girl. X rays were taken, and the child was looked after in a very professional manner. The bus driver stayed the entire time to make sure everything was ok, and, fortunately, the child was fine. He was very kind and caring.The entire process took a little more than one hour. No charge. Truly impressive!! The way this was handled would never have happened in the U.S.

Later, my wife and I accompanied her to her apt (we had been looking after her baby stroller and such). She gave us her card and we promised to send her an email, but, unfortunately, we lost her card. Maybe she will read this post?

Anyway, we were really impressed and just wanted to share this story.

Good story, but this kind of thing would happen elsewhere as well

Also highlights how dangerous colectivos are. The accident should never have happened in the first place...

Or how a mother should take more care of her kids while riding a vehicle that by its nature doesn't have seat belts.

But nice story, especially after the taxi thread recently. :)

Also highlights how dangerous colectivos are. The accident should never have happened in the first place...
How can you know what happened? What if the bus driver was not driving like Fangio? And if the child was distracted and not holding to the handrails?

Posts like this make me really wonder if I am a legitimate holder of this holy nickname.

Not to say that this bus driver wasn't kind or concerned, but it's my understanding that the reason that the driver will call out for seats for pregnant women or women with kids is because he's actually responsible if they sustain an injury during their ride on that particular bus, and can be sued for damages (ie. the drivers are not part of a government collective but individual contractors). He did a good job covering his ass. Glad everything turned out ok and that a positive experience was had by all, regardless.
:)

Reactions: tez
Back