Add-on to "AFIP" and taxes

gracielle

Registered
Many laws are on the books
here which are rarely or never enforced. Of course, you don't want to be the unlucky
person who gets hit with it. Compared to the US, taxes here are not high. Certainly
not for most expats. So if you are a single property owner, why just not pay it
and sleep well at night. Kirshner's regime seems to be in a massive
"collection" mode. The war chest needs to be replenished.
Elections cost money. And they are probably going to be in power for a long
time.

Here is a good example. In BA, the intensive public
works program which is directly benefiting the construction industry needs to
be financed. One example is the programs offered by the Instituto de la
Vivienda. Since 2005, this state agency had been offering loans to low
and middle income owners to remodel the one property they had designated as
their residence. They were offering up to AR$18,900 per unit. All you had to do
was provide the property title and your signature. They don't call it a
mortgage...but it is. You don’t pay and they slap a lien on your property. Owners
could select up to a 30-yr re-payment plan...even if they were 80 years
old...with 0% interest. Who would balk at an AR$52 per month payment.
Sounds great so far...doesn't it?

At no cost to the owner, an
arquitect contracted by the agency came to the home, reviewed your proposal and
submitted a remodel plan with expected budget. It was approved within 2
months. With your copy in hand, you proceeded to interview a few pre-certified
companies from their list of about 300. And off you go....but
wait...where is the catch? Out of AR$18,900, 60% was actually designated
to labor and materials. The other 40% went for profit to the arquitect and the
contractor, gov't permits, construction overruns, and last but not least...21%
IVA. The owner had at his disposal the sum of $11,340. Not in hand, but to be
doled out to the constructor in increments until the work was completed.

To those whose roofs, plumbing, electricity,
etc. were in dire need of repair, it seemed like manna from the sky. To some, taking inflation into consideration,
it seemed like a “good” deal. Guess what…there are no “good deals” here. Not enough people took the bait. Now they are
taking their dog and pony show to “consorcios”.
They are offering a similar plan to fix up the common areas of buildings. For each owner signature that the
administrator gets, the building gets AR$18,900. They actually bypass
“consorcio” rules because the loan is obtained “individually” by each owner. It
is up to the consorcio as a legal entity to sue the unwilling owners for their
monthly share. May I add that the administrator gets a bonus from bringing in
“his” building. Apparently they don’t have enough takers so next year they will
re-open the plan to single dwelling owners again.

Don’t underestimate
Kirshner’s ability. He plans to be the circus master for a long time. He has
managed to put the seal of legality to “pork projects”. I wonder where he learned these tactics?

"gracielle" said:
Don’t underestimate
Kirshner’s ability. He plans to be the circus master for a long time. He has
managed to put the seal of legality to “pork projects”. I wonder where he learned these tactics?
Hehe, that's small beer compared to the grand larceny currently prevailing in the United States. For one, poor Argentina doesn't have massive military-industrial and civil engineering outfits. Nor an economy that can support huge government-sanctioned projects. Just the corruption involved in the post-Katrina reconstruction would put Kirchner in the shade.

My point is that this regime NEEDS to collect revenue in massive amounts and record time to fuel the re-elections of K and the K troops, such as governors, etc. Raising property taxes is just one aspect of the master plan. Foreign property owners are not being targeted specifically.
For those of you who follow what happened in Missiones last Sunday in regards to perpetual re-elections, it is touted as a beacon of republic principles. But I am a skeptic. I think no matter who finally gets elected as governor of Missiones, the K machinery will try their well-oiled strategy of buying favors. And who can look the other way when there are no viable alternatives.
Yet, I am not entirely opposed to their current techniques. After all, "pure" democracy under Alfonsin and a strings of wannabe presidents failed miserably. I am just not willing to give them my support yet at the urns. I want to see plans for long-term investment and development. Not piecemeal patches....such as price controls. I am a capitalist at heart....but a benevolent one.

"gracielle" said:
I want to see plans for long-term investment and development. Not piecemeal patches....such as price controls.
I don't see it happening in any meaningful way. The government doesn't have the dosh. The local bourgeoisie is skittish and just a pack of thieves at heart. And multinationals are wary. Felisa Miceli was to give a presentation in New York to foreign investors but since only four people signed up, the event had to be cancelled. The Argentine economy will continue to be "comprador": commission agents and junior partners to Western and East Asian capital, plus what income the country can garner from grain and livestock exports.
I am a capitalist at heart....but a benevolent one.
Such people are called 'liberals" in the USA, and "social democrats" in Europe: capitalism with a human face is their credo, best exemplified by the phrase, "I feel your pain" (Bill Clinton). But this is just an unreformed Marxist speaking. ;-).

Hi,
BBW...is it snowing in Minneapolis? It's gray and raining
here. Happy to see you online. This text better exemplifies my idea on life and living it…..

“Most pragmatists
argue that what should be taken as true is that which contributes the most good
over the longest course. In the case of C.S. Peirce's pragmatism, this means that
theoretical claims should be tied to verification practices — that is, one
should be able to make predictions and test them.”I am testing mine!

"gracielle" said:
Hi,
BBW...is it snowing in Minneapolis? It's gray and raining
here.
It's unseasonably warm here (60F today, and I think 57F tomorrow): it allows me to live in a state of denial: no, winter is not around the corner.

The ideas of Pierce, James, and Dewey show their age today, but this forum is not perhaps the place to discuss them (much as I would like to).

Glad to hear the weather has not turned wicked yet for you. I agree...this is not the appropriate forum. Maybe we can start a separate dialogue on the subject.

If anyone needs advice re afip and taxes in general, my girlfriend is a public accountant. She is Argentine and knows the system after 25 years experience.

Back