Adopting Children In Argentina

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Hi all,

We are considering adding to our family. Given that there are a lot of kids already in the world with no parents we are thinking about adopting. Does anyone know how this works here? We are both permanent residents. What is the approval process? Do the laws allow the birth mother to reclaim the child? What are the considerations for immigrating either to Brazil or the US?

Many thanks in advance.

GS

I do not know the details but it is unfortunately a very lengthy process that takes years. The biological mother can claim the children back - not sure if it is in all cases though -. Being perm residents you should be eligible.

Anecdotally I was told by someone who volunteers for a charity looking after orphans that there are many eligible children to adopt but they are not babies or young infants and that the process is quicker if you are willing to adopt an older child. I understand, like everywhere probably, that the process starts with a series of visits, then some overnight stays then weekends etc...

Again, that was small talk made with someone who volunteers for a charity and does not work for any adoption services agency. We have thought about this too, but do have the concerns which Nikad has mentioned. The birth parents may come back at some stage and reclaim the kids.

Hope it works out for you, it's to youre credit you would consider helping a kid out.

Just don't start making them drink that rotten Dr Pepper stuff you people like ;)

4487-0886, consult with a professional. Dra. Hanko. Since next wednesday.

The process for adoption is very long and stressful. We looked into it last year. I have had friends who have gone through it and friends who are family lawyers. Keep in mind by years: it took them 10 years. As a permanent resident you have to wait until you have been living here 5 years to even apply. Also, if your paperwork is approved a judge calls you into court and explains that he has a child ready for adoption and that childs history to find out if you want to meet them. You do not meet the child first. If it does not work out, you are stuck waiting again. This is what is driving women to sell their babies on the roads in places like Salta to wealthy childless families from BsAs. That said, the law here keeps children with their families, no matter how bad it is. Nikad is right. We have had a group of kids here in Caballito begging on the corners while their parents, clearly on drugs (stumbling around or passed out on the floor) getting them to give them the money. Its tragic. The child welfare system favors the biological parents, no matter how bad the system is. We had wanted to adopt (we still do) but here, until they really work on the system, it is almost impossible for us.

One of my best friend´s mother, she has been an elementary school teacher all her life, decided to adopt two boys some years ago. After all the waiting, years, etc, two brothers were given to her in adoption, months after that the mother shows up and claimed them back. These kids have been in institutions for years, the woman tried to blackmail my friend´s mother, asked for money in order not to claim them back. I have a cousin that is on a wait list for 8 years to adopt a child. The system might vary in different provinces, I cannot advise but am just sharing experiences from close people.

It takes a minimum of at least 3 years, and my understanding is that so few are able to do it in that time frame. My wife and I also were considering adoption, but the whole process seems like a nightmare. It is disheartening to see children on the street everyday.

One of my best friend´s mother, she has been an elementary school teacher all her life, decided to adopt two boys some years ago. After all the waiting, years, etc, two brothers were given to her in adoption, months after that the mother shows up and claimed them back. These kids have been in institutions for years, the woman tried to blackmail my friend´s mother, asked for money in order not to claim them back. I have a cousin that is on a wait list for 8 years to adopt a child. The system might vary in different provinces, I cannot advise but am just sharing experiences from close people.
My niece is a judge here. She says that the blackmail scam has grown drastically.

I second the fact that older kids are easier to adopt. However it could be complicated as well. My uncle and aunt adopted a 12 y/o kid from Santa Fe, he lived in a hogar-granja outside of Rosario. He lived with them for a year and went back to the hogar cause he never adapted to living in the big city. However, they still see the now 17 year old young man and he calls them mom and dad.
The mother can claim the kid back but only for an specific amount of time. Once you are awarded the tenencia definitiva that's it

I trully suggest you get professional help or join a support group to ease (aka help you digest) your way through the process.

Thanks everyone for your information. The consensus sounds like it is a long, arduous process, with a lot of trap doors.

We'll be talking this through this weekend.

Best,

GS

Back