Advice on large apartment 2000+ sq. ft.

And as for the $10K furnishing, I did not mean to imply permanent, upscale stuff. I was responding to the poster who said to expect to pay multiples for a furnished apartment. Having visited the design center, I was thinking I could put together a few beds and sofas for very little. Are appliances included in a typical rental?

jb5 said:
Help me understand the issues. Is Recoletta the only sane place for a single woman to consider?

There are plently of safe places for a single woman to consider, Palermo, Recoleta, Barrio Norte, anywhere you feel comfortable all of Belgrano. I don't know why you would think Recoleta was the only place.

You're right, you can do multiple withdrawals if your charges make it worthwhile.
My cards do $300, but my bank usually freezes the account after one try due to fraud.

jb5 said:
And as for the $10K furnishing, I did not mean to imply permanent, upscale stuff. I was responding to the poster who said to expect to pay multiples for a furnished apartment. Having visited the design center, I was thinking I could put together a few beds and sofas for very little. Are appliances included in a typical rental?

Short term leases (six month "maximum") are always fully furnished, though the quality of the furnishings can vary quite a bit.

Two year leases are typically unfurnished and usually only the stove is provided. Some do not even include curtains or light fixtures.

It is not "legal" for someone here on a tourist visa (visa transitoria) to execute a two year lease, and there are often other hurdles to jump as well (such as having a local property owner guarantee the rent will be paid). Nonetheless it is possible to find property owners (often foreigners) who will make longer agreements, though they should technically lease and "renew" every six months for their own protection.

Can you get around the hurdles and make it easy by paying a year's rent upfront? Is there a risk to doing this?

I imagine that a 200m2 apartment at 7K+++ is going to have good furniture, no? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

jb5 said:
Can you get around the hurdles and make it easy by paying a year's rent upfront? Is there a risk to doing this?

Are we still talking about renting one of these uber rare & uber expensive 200m2 apartments? If the demand is low you can negotiate anything. If the demand is high, forget it. :D

I have no idea what the demand for the type of apartment you are looking for is.

You CAN'T rent an apt for more than 6 months if you are not here on a long-term visa. (legally anyway;)) Now if you know someone & can find someone who is willing to be a gurantia and you can pay up front, you can probably work your way around that.

However, you won't be able to go through a real-estate broker - they can't legally hand you a lease for more than 6 months. And I would be wary for doing 6 month at a time leases, prices do tend to go up quite a bit with the inflation here.

As far as furnishing an apt for 10,000 USD - with that size - it's possible but would be hard. Just a comparison - electronics are VERY expensive here. I was looking at a queen sized bed the other day & they were asking 5000 pesos for it. Prices are high here (in my experience) and quality tends to be low. Now you certainly could do it if you were willing to search around for things.

PS - If you are thinking about opening up a company office here & doing everything "en blanco" - be aware it's VERY expensive to legally employ people here.

Also - if you have the type of resources that pay you a dividend of about 1000 USD a month, you can qualify at the consulate for a long-term visa and that may allow you to work your way around the system as far as renting. However, if you're talking about earning a good income by working here - I assume you realize your company has to be registered here to employ you.

My company is well established in Latin Amrerica and the primary business aspects are taken care of. It's the lifestyle aspects I remain unclear on. And one side thing that would interest me is opening a boutique inn with a friend catering to Europeans and Americans. It appears several suitable places are on the market. Can foreigners do this?

Back