Advice on selling electronics in BA

bebero said:
i love how he's asking how to do something illegal and no one cares.

It's not illegal. You have a limit of almost $400 USD per person. 2 people travel together=$800.
It's also illegal to blow up inflation and base an economy on USD but pay in pesos.
It's also illegal to prohibit and restrict importation of cars, fridges, luxury items.
When the government does all this it creates a need and demand for something that sometimes you cannot find here- for now, no iphones, blackberrys, etc. So of course you have to bring it from abroad.

It's not even a question of value and allowed amounts, if I need something and there is no stock because of stupid restrictions I will find a way to bring it in.

People here don't complain or strike or boycott any company if they are causing a problem, or if the government is behind this no one takes action..

So what is really worse?

AlfajorEfi said:
It's not illegal. You have a limit of almost $400 USD per person. 2 people travel together=$800.
It's also illegal to blow up inflation and base an economy on USD but pay in pesos.
It's also illegal to prohibit and restrict importation of cars, fridges, luxury items.
When the government does all this it creates a need and demand for something that sometimes you cannot find here- for now, no iphones, blackberrys, etc. So of course you have to bring it from abroad.

It's not even a question of value and allowed amounts, if I need something and there is no stock because of stupid restrictions I will find a way to bring it in.

People here don't complain or strike or boycott any company if they are causing a problem, or if the government is behind this no one takes action..

So what is really worse?

It is illegal. If it was legal he wouldn't be asking how to make it seem like the stuff is used. He's talking about avoiding taxes, which is illegal.

You can agree or disagree with restricting importation but is not illegal.
And he's not getting things and bringing them from abroad to satisfy a personal need, like you said, he's getting them to sell them.

How can you expect a government to not be corrupt if you're corrupt on the smallest things?

Because when I get pulled over so the cop ask for a bribe and nothing is wrong with the car or no violation has been made, but the motorcyclist in front did not get pulled over even though he ran a red light and rides with no helmet, since he cant afford paying this bribe and they know it..you accept the system and screw them when you can since they do it to you..

I didn't write this thread to argue morals. Morals get you nowhere in Argentina. I am surprised that anyone who has been here for more than a few months would be in any way shocked by this. People on this board recommend questionable activity all the time, namely overstaying the tourist visa for as long as you want and then just paying the fine, or teaching English/getting other jobs en negro. I'm not trying to smuggle balloons of heroin out of Afghanistan here, nor am I asking about bribes. If I have to pay the tax, I'll pay the tax. I'd just rather not. I'd make some sort of Robin Hood argument here, but I don't care enough. Save your judgments for someone else. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.

If anyone wants an iPad, I'll be posting it for sale next week, probably at 10% below the going rate on MercadoLibre. PM me if you are already interested.

To Don'tMindMe:
"Morals get you nowhere in Argentina" ... or in other words you have morals but left them at home once you came to Argentina ... Anyone who agrees with Don'tMindMe please don't ever complain about Argentina (or any other country)'s corruption.
You make me sick.

zingara said:
To Don'tMindMe:
"Morals get you nowhere in Argentina" ... or in other words you have morals but left them at home once you came to Argentina ... Anyone who agrees with Don'tMindMe please don't ever complain about Argentina (or any other country)'s corruption.
You make me sick.

Completely agreed.
And to the person who said the thing about cops, you know what the answer to that is:

"i'd rather get a ticket"

It's not like they force you to bribe them.

I can't believe that people agree with this and then complain about politicians. If they are corrupt with these amounts of money imagine if they had millions at their hand. They'd be the worst.

Last time I came down, I used the mule pool to try and help offset some of my costs...namely the reciprocity fee. I bid on about 12-15 items but in most cases, never got a reply. I think maybe 3 replies total and ended up only agreeing on muling one item....it was a Kindle and I made a little over $40. Hardly worth the time but had I been able to get a few more items, it would have worked out nicely. I will look into it again next time I head down. I think if you limit yourself to one item of a kind, like one I-pad, one cell phone, one laptop...you will be ok.

One thing I'd say is that things never seem to sell for as much as it seems. I brought a Mac Mini back last year and had a hard time selling it - with a good MercadoLibre rating. I ended up selling it for about $150 more than I paid, which was hardly worthwhile.

The thing I sold immediately was an old unlocked Blackberry. I had a ton of responses and had to take the ad down with a couple of hours of posting it. My iPhone 3G and 3GS also sold quickly.

It also seems like Victoria's Secret items are selling like crazy too...

Back