Advice on studying Spanish in BA?

jonathanmanc

Registered
Hi Everyone I am planning to come to BA for 2/3 months to study Spanish. I wondered if anyone can recommend a good school or private tutor? Also, can anyone tell me the best places to stay? I would probably be looking at renting an apt for the duration of my stay: ideally it should be in a nice safe area within easy reach of all the activities/nightlife etc. I would also be keen to join a gym while I am there so again if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! Also, is the 3G ok in BA? Can I get a SIM only deal for an unlocked iphone?

Jonathan, BA its not a place to visit for just 3 months. Maby thats why nobody answered to your doubt. Its ok if you wanna learn spanish, but BA City its an experiencie on his self and not a place for just pass. But anyway, about your doubt the only thing that you gotta do, is ask to "Saint Google" and you can be sure that it will give you a several answers.
Regards, and enjoy your stay.

I always recommend two private tutors to friends and clients. Both teachers have around 10 years of experience with students of all levels.

Mercedes - 15 4902 5842
Estefania - 15 5803 9000

As for schools, I have heard good things about Babel downtown and Vamos Spanish in Alto Palermo.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. If you need in an apartment, please give us a call at Casa34.

Best,

I recommend that before you decide on a specific school or living situation that you visit it in person. I think it is always easier to make a decision and you can make sure it is legit.

Schools I recommend:

Expanish (www.expanish.com)
Vamos Spanish Academy (http://www.vamospanish.com/)
Vos Spanish School (http://www.vosbuenosaires.com/en/)

A private tutor not associated with a school will probably be cheaper, but a school is a great way to meet people and many times they have free activities and things that go along with the class.

For a place to stay, what do you mean by nice? Some neighborhoods are similar, so let us know more of what you are looking for and we can recommend something. In general "nice" neighborhoods are Recoleta, Palermo, Puerto Madero and Belgrano, but I think there are many more great neighborhoods to live in depending on your style.

I highly recommend my Spanish teacher, Gabriela Ferrante whom I have been studying with for almost 1 year, http://gabrielaferrante.tripod.com/index.html. I actually first found out about her on this site (along with other people), met with her in person and have been so happy with the results.

My husband and I went to a reputable school, but studying privately has been much more effective.

It's a personal and financial choice.

I spent a total of 7 weeks @ http://www.academiabuenosaires.com/ and absolutely recommend them. Classes are 1-5 students (in my case we were always 2-3) and their teachers are very good.
I have a good impression of vamos spanish too, but only from hearsay.

If you have an unlocked iPhone, 3G will work fine in Argentina. You just need a chip, for a short stay prepaid might be the best solution eventhough it is quite expensive. I used personal telecom which offers 1-week data packages which you can activate for your prepaid line through the web-interface or by texting a special code (i.e. "ACT IM7") to the number 152. I don't know about Movistar and Claro's offers, but they are the two other operators you might want to check out.

For living, Recoleta/Palermo/Belgrano are generally preferred by expats (for a reason). Most good bars are there, lots of good restaurants, good public transportation, etc., obviously also more expensive than most other areas.

Hi J, send me your email address and I'll email you with some info on apartment and school if you want.
have been here for a year and a half and have wasted money by not doing enough research! so happy to share some tips!

Firstly, can i say Brigadier, i think you come across as a little bit snobby. 3 months is plenty of time to visit BA and get to know it!

In answer to your other question, there is a great public gym in San Telmo, i think its 130 pesos for a month pass. Altenatively there's a big chain called megathlon although i think quite expensive. I guess it depends where you're going to be based in the city

In answer to your question about schools, again, depends what you're after. A couple of suggestions...

Expanish Spanish School - one of the biggest and most reputable schools
Ibero - I think the cheapest of all of the schools

I would also suggest you check out the language school review sites, then you can get a broad view of the different spanish schools in BA (there are so many out there!) and what people who have studied there have to say about the schools..

www.languageschoolreviewer.com
www.my-language-travel.com

SIM deals, yeah, just like any other city, go into one of their mobile shops (telefonica and claro are two of the main ones)

Back