Advice on the Drive from Buenos Aires to Cordoba?

camel

Registered
I'm driving to Córdoba Capital from BA tomorrow. Any advice in general - speed traps to look out for, good lunch spot, etc? I won't have much time to stop for tourist stuff.. a 20-minute lunch stop would be good. If I had more time I'd stop in Rosario for some Carlitos, but even that will kill more than an hour.

I literally just drove to Cordoba and back this week (well my father in law drove but I was passenger) and to start with, the scenery is all the same. Flat, boring fields and there’s not many other cars so good luck staying awake. In terms of speed traps, just be really careful once you enter Cordoba province because the police there are really “on it” when it comes to road safety checks. There are many checkpoints, we got pulled over twice. If you don’t have your seatbelt on you can expect a big fine. Also I think its compulsory to have headlights on there, but you might want to double check that. There’s lots of service stations to stop at that serve overpriced burgers etc, but the only restaurant i saw was in buenos aires province, about 1 hour and a half from capital. Also, the roads in santa fe province are shit. Lots of potholes and bumps in the road so keep your eyes out

Yes in Cordoba they are apparently very strict on the headlights. I'll be using Waze too.

YPF (gas station) makes a very nice cappuccino.

Last edited:
Waze and now Google Maps have the speed traps. All rutas require your lights on, so don't fall foul of that. I have been driving over here for over a year, stopped twice for a quick check. My experience has always been an easy and pleasant one with the police so nothing to fear if you are stopped.

I should also add that in Cordoba, the alcohol limit for driving is 0, unlike Buenos Aires. So forget the whole “ill be fine with 1 pint” or “1 glass of red” thing. Just a few sips could see you in deep trouble

Cordoba is beautiful I was surprised when I got there I thought I was back in California it looks and feels so much like it. But no ocean and no waves otherwise it is so much like going to California for me.

Thanks for the comments. I've spent time in Cordoba - lived there for 4 months last year in La Cumbre west of the Sierras.. but I haven't driven there from BsAs for a while.

So, where was lunch in the end, did you discover any gems worth sharing on your drive ? :D

Back