Aerolíneas Plane In Close Call At Barcelona Airport

The runway incursion is either the A.Arg. pilot's fault since he was crossing an active runway during taxi. If the tower cleared the plane to cross said runway during a short final approach, then the ATC person who did that has to be heavily reprimanded.

Assuming the degree of separation was dangerous - and the pilots behavior certainly shows that he thought it was - then whoever is at fault needs to be heavily reprimanded.

On balance of probabilities that would appear to be the tower. As previously mentioned, these close calls happen more often than can be imagined. Ever play one of these games where you land planes till there's a crash? Imagine doing that all day for a living.

Could have been a repeat accident like the one in the Canary Islands in 1977 between two 747 from KLM and PanAm

375px-Tenerife747s.png

Could have been a repeat accident like the one in the Canary Islands in 1977 between two 747 from KLM and PanAm

375px-Tenerife747s.png

That's the worst incident in aviation history (other than 9/11). It was caused by poor communication skills from a traffic controller at a regional airport that was unprepared for the amount of traffic he received. They had closed the main airport in Tenerife due to a bomb threat, so everything that could go wrong that day went wrong. The KLM pilot was arrogant, and he was in a hurry to go back because he was pretty much about to hit the work hour limit that would have prevented him from flying back to Amsterdam and KLM didn't have another crew, so that would have stranded the whole flight for even more hours. Basically they just wanted to get home, the pilot was arrogant.

Incidents like the Aerolineas one are a lot more common than you thing, Aborting a landing is routine procedure, in San Antonio I've witnessed two aborted landings and one in Houston, I'm not the one to like CFK, ever, but this has nothing to do with A. Arg. being a crappy airline or not. It can happen to anyone.

Very hard to tell exactly how far away the other plane is, still wouldn't fly Aerolineas due to the terrible experiences friends have had on them, never mind the stories you read online.

Aerolineas is a lousy airline overall, but on the criteria of safety, they have an incredibly good record.

I recently went out of my way to mention that Aerolíneas has had nicer service lately - two days later, I hear about a flight that has most lights in the plane (passengers' seat lights) not turning on, except for a handful that didn't turn off the whole flight...

Then again, American has a daily evening flight from New York down here - 3 times during the past week the flight was delayed 10 hours, departing the next morning. So pick your poison, I guess...

Ultimately American is integrated with far more airlines and thus offers more options than Aerolíneas - even in Latin America, and certainly throughout the world.

Safety-wise, they both have great records.

Which airlines was it that earlier this year in the States a man fell asleep on the airplane and upon landing no one, not even the flight attendants, woke him up. And when he did eventually wake up he was alone at night on the airplane. Thank goodness he had his cell phone on him to call for help.

Back