Aerolineas mucho $$$

Denmar

Registered
As far as I can make out a return flight to Canada cost more with Aerolineas than Air Canada. Aerolineas charges the blue dollar. I'm I missing something!

As far as I can make out a return flight to Canada cost more with Aerolineas than Air Canada. Aerolineas charges the blue dollar. I'm I missing something!
Aerolineas only takes you as far as Miami, AC from there to Canada. It's not a blue dollar, it's some other special denomination that was created for airline tickets around the time qatar and coldplay were introduced. It's loaded with some extra fees on top of being double the official rate. But even taking this rate into account the prices look ridiculous - I'd almost think that there is a glitch in their system - even one way to Miami is 500K. The cheapest way to get back would be American if you go to East coast and United if you go to Vancouver / prairies, but sometimes the stopover is a bit long. AC to Toronto is the fastest for about a 1000 bucks o a good day. Expedia usually has the best options, AC used to have sales mid January, not sure if that'll continue now...

It's substantially cheaper to self connect from Chile or Brazil, i.e. you buy 1 ticket to Santiago or São Paulo, and then a ticket from there to Canada.

Last I checked it was $1,200 USD RT from EZE to YYZ, but ~$800 doing the above mentioned including tickets to Chile or Brazil. I have family that lives up in Canada and we were looking to visit them, talk about insanity, I have no desire to go besides see them and the price is making it more likely we'll just meet up in a 3rd country.

It's substantially cheaper to self connect from Chile or Brazil, i.e. you buy 1 ticket to Santiago or São Paulo, and then a ticket from there to Canada.

Last I checked it was $1,200 USD RT from EZE to YYZ, but ~$800 doing the above mentioned including tickets to Chile or Brazil. I have family that lives up in Canada and we were looking to visit them, talk about insanity, I have no desire to go besides see them and the price is making it more likely we'll just meet up in a 3rd country.
AC to YYZ is a $1000 Can right now with a short stopover in Sao Paolo, exchange rate is $1US=$1.35 Can, which makes it roughly $740 US. Self connecting is often a headache when the flights are rescheduled and nobody reimburses you as the tickets are separate. Might be worth spending a bit more on a direct flight.

Last edited:
Back