affordable shipping to US?

jem24

Registered
Hi Everyone!
I am trying to ship some Christmas presents home to my family but the only shipping companies I am coming across are for freight or for express service at a VERY high price. I am just looking to send a medium sized box at the most affordable rate (I actually don't even care about a guarantee that it arrives by christmas, just that it will arrive at some point!). Does this exist? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Order online from websites that will drop-ship your gifts directly to your family.

That's a great idea Kurt, but I'll bet the OP really wants to send presents purchased in BA to his/her friends and family.

Even if Correro Argentina (the cheapest way to send something to the USA) was "trustworthy" I wonder if anything sent now would arrive by December 25th.

I agree that your suggestion is by far the best way to get Xmas gifts to the desired recepients before Dec 25th...even if the gifts weren't purchased in BA.

Yes I do really want to send presents from here. I am not so worried about even getting them there in time for Christmas, I think my family will forgive me! I do want a courier that will get them there at some point. Is Correro Argentina not reliable or just will take a long time?

Thanks so much for your replies!

I know some expats have received packages sent USPS door to door via Correo Argentina, but I don't know anyone who has sent anything to the US with them.

My brother sent me Xmas cards the first three years I was in BA.

I did not receive any of them.

When I went to the Correo in Retiro to mail a box in August, the prices seemed pretty outrageous. Our box had books and would have cost about 800 pesos to mail to the US. We decided against it. If you go to the Correo though, (this is very important) bring your passport or DNI. Apparently we could not have mailed our package anyway, after waiting one hour to get to the window because we did not bring our passport! I've never had to show my passport or any ID when mailing a package anywhere else.

I think you're safer sending TO the US than receiving FROM the US. Packages going out probably aren't as interesting as packages coming in. I would just send it regular mail and hope it gets there, just don't send anything you would mind losing. I believe DHL, UPS and FedEx are in Argentina as well, but probably expensive.

I will be sending a Christmas card down this year... last year's arrived in April... we'll see how long this one takes. ;)

About 2 weeks ago I had to send some documents to a client in New Jersey. I was an envelope with 3 pages. They requested 2 day service, to arrive on Saturday. Cost: $280 pesos. UNBELIEVEABLE

A friend from Canada visited me once and forgot her bikini here, I mailed it to her with Correa Argentina and it got to her super fast, within a week. And I didn't pay much (since I just slipped it into an envelope) but this was nearly 2 years ago...And yes, I needed to bring my passport which resulted in 2 trips, so bring that!

Back