AFIP will control your expenses in May: from what amounts should your bank report

Forgive me but this conversation seems to be taking a very 1+1=2 approach to information. What about all the metadata that everyone sheds everywhere they go and everything they do? What about everything Meta, Microsoft, Google and a whole host of other entities collect from you every day - whether or not you have Meta, Microsoft or Google accounts? Who do you suppose they sell all this stuff to?
I' curious to know what, if anything, would any of the information gathered by any of the other data harvesters mentioned have to do with AFIP "controlling expenses" in Argentina?

The title of this thread is a literal translation of the title of the article which was originally writen Spanish, but I think the word "monitor" more accurately describes what they are actuall doing.

AFIP has the power to tax individuals with income in Argentina....they alsohave the power to fine and criminally charge those individuals who do not declare and pay taxes on the income which is subject to the requirements to do so.

None of the data harvesters mentioned abvove have that power let alone the ability to see who is making transfers to Argentina for cash pickup or deposits into Argentine bank accounts.

PS: On late Monday afternoon I did both without any probem. The funds of the WU to bank transfer were deposited yesterday and the "cash" transfered directly to a WU agency were available a few minutes after I made the transfer but I waited until this morning to get them...a few minutes after I went to AFIP to ask a few questions face to face.

Last edited:
I am asking how likely it would be for AFIP to connect the dots and link the transfers to the (most likely permanent) resident who nnotnis obviously trying to prevent AFIP from knowing that they are recieving funds and not declaring them if and when they are required by law to do so...

...and what the consequences will be if and when that happens.

Personally, I think it's probably unlikely they will ever connect those dots. Unless you are liquidating a huge amount of money per month I think AFIP has bigger fish to try. Tax evasion down here is practically an Olympic sport second only to Futbol. AFIP's largest problem is probably businesses over reporting their import expenses to reduce their income tax (sobrefacturación de importaciones) or overreporting their export revenue (sobrefacturación de exportaciones) to launder pesos into dollars.

PS: On late Monday afternoon I did both without any probem. The funds of the WU to bank transfer were deposited yesterday and the "cash" transfered directly to a WU agency were available a few minutes after I made the transfer but I waited until this morning to get them...a few minutes after I went to AFIP to ask a few questions face to face.
PS2: I went to Western Union this morning after I went to ask a few questions face to face at AFIP, hoping that I would be able to tell other expats that they could transfer their retirement pension funds to an Argentine bank, (obviously using their DNI) without any concern about having to pay any Argentine taxes on them. I was informed that, at least for now, public and private pension funds from any country are exempt from tafation in Argentin

I was assured by the AFIP agent I spoke with that I would not have to declare or pay any Argentine taxes on the funds I have been or will transfer in the future. Then he actually prepared and had me sign a declaration which unsubscribed me from the bienes personales régimen.

I have always gone straight to AFIP when I haven't been sure about what I need to declare and since 2009 I have only.had to make the bienes personales declaraciones one time, in 2019, after not making any declaraciones for the ten years between 2009 and 2019. I had to show that my assets were below the threshold which would have created a libility to pay the tax during those years.

AFIP never sent me a notice that I had to do this. I went to their office after I was unable to download a constancia of my CUIL on-line which I needed to open a bank account in Punta Alta.

Last edited:
If only it were true.

After posting regularly on this issue since 2020, recent progress in my own migration process meant the time had come to get to the bottom of the matter once and for all, so I contracted an expensive taxation lawyer here in Buenos Aires specialized in cross-border compliance. He confirmed what common sense and any careful reading of Argentina’s ganancias tax legislation has been telling us all along: overseas pensions are taxable in Argentina if the individual meets the criteria for Argentine tax residency, if the income is above Argentina’s minimum tax threshold, and if a double taxation agreement doesn’t give any relief.

But let’s not take his word for it, or our own reading of Argentina’s Spanish language taxation legislation. Let’s just look at the double taxation agreements for those countries that have them, all available in the official language of our home countries. https://www.afip.gob.ar/convenios-i...convenios-para-evitar-la-doble-imposicion.asp

If a pension drawn overseas by a foreigner who has become an Argentine tax resident were exempt from tax in Argentina, there would be no need for any Argentine double tax treaty with another country to include an article on pensions. But each does include such an article (amongst a range of separate articles for other income categories, e.g., dividends, rental income, employment income, etc.). And none of these pension articles says that the pension is only taxable in the country where it is drawn because Argentina exempts foreign pensions from tax. On the contrary, by setting out the rules by which a pensioner who has become an Argentine tax resident must determine in which of the two jurisdictions he or she must declare each year, these articles make clear that foreign pensions are taxable in Argentina (provding, of course, that the the amount meets the minimum threshold).

It may well be the case that, as a matter of policy, AFIP is not currently looking to pursue pensioners from overseas who have become tax residents in Argentina. That is quite plausible and probably what the helpful AFIP officer was really saying. But that is very different to saying that pension income is exempt.

By the way, the tax lawyer confirms Lucky's hunch in the post above (and which echoes many claims many have made on the board in recent years that have never been verified): if your traceable electronic activity is modest and you don’t live too ostentatiously or “big”, AFIP do have bigger animals to hunt with more meat on the bone, so you’ll probably be fine.

Another useful tip I gleaned from the adviser (again something that has been speculated about on this board but never confirmed): if you have fallen into tax residency and are nervous about it, the way to correct it is to leave the country and then spend no more than 90 days back here over the following 365 days. That cures you of tax residency at the 365-day mark. But, if you spend more than 183 days in a subsequent 365 period in Argentina, you’re back where you started: a tax resident again.

Finally, he clarified in layman's language something that is quite poorly expressed in the ganancias law: the way for someone who is pursuing residency via Migraciones (e.g., as a rentista, or a pensionista, or various other categories) to avoid becoming a tax resident at least during the period leading up to permanent residency is to spend at least 90 days in each 12-month period of your residency process outside the country.

Last edited:
I will translate the previous two posts and the next time I am in Punta Alta I will ask the AFIP agent I spoke with yesterday to read them. Then I will post his reply in this thread.

It may well be the case that, as a matter of policy, AFIP is not currently looking to pursue pensioners from overseas who have become tax residents in Argentina. That is quite plausible and probably what the helpful AFIP officer was really saying. But that is very different to saying that pension income is exempt.
Good post. Important to point out that more than policy, it is likely limited only by the systems and information AFIP has at its disposal to detect tax irregularities and be able to confront infractions without being exposed to a lengthy and costly wild goose chase to collect a few thousands dollars of evaded tax if working with limited data that proves nothing.

As automatic information exchanges take shape (especially on Argentine residents with bank accounts located abroad) and as their technological systems and integration with the banking sector continues to improve, catching up with countries with highly effective and vigilant tax agencies, I would not place my money on things staying this way in Argentina forever. This country needs a lot of money to pays its dues and rampant tax evasion on the lower level adds up to a lot of lost revenue - same thing eventually happened in countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece who faced similar problems who now proactively detect and go after small cases of evasion and infraction as in other "developed" countries.

For those that plan on being in Argentina in the long run and want to get their local tax affairs in order, I would suggest entering into the blanqueo available over these next few months that offers legal immunity not only for income and wealth tax evasion, but also capital control infractions. For residents who own, or plan to own, property or assets here it also offers some very attractive discounts on wealth tax for the next 5 years.

I will translate the previous two posts and the next time I am in Punta Alta I will ask the AFIP agent I spoke with yesterday to read them. Then I will post his reply in this thread.
Steve, you have previously posted here the amount of your pension income. The reason you are exempt from tax on it in Argentina is not because foreign pensiones are, generally, exempt from tax in Argentina (they are not) but because the amount of your particular pension is below the minimum amount currently set in the ganancias law following passage of the Ley de Bases.

The same goes for bienes personales (wealth tax): the AFIP official de-enrolled you because the value of the asset is below the minimum at which the wealth tax is levied.

PS2: I went to Western Union this morning after I went to ask a few questions face to face at AFIP, hoping that I would be able to tell other expats that they could transfer their retirement pension funds to an Argentine bank, (obviously using their DNI) without any concern about having to pay any Argentine taxes on them. I was informed that, at least for now, public and private pension funds from any country are exempt from tafation in Argentin

I was assured by the AFIP agent I spoke with that I would not have to declare or pay any Argentine taxes on the funds I have been or will transfer in the future. Then he actually prepared and had me sign a declaration which unsubscribed me from the bienes personales régimen.

I have always gone straight to AFIP when I haven't been sure about what I need to declare and since 2009 I have only.had to make the bienes personales declaraciones one time, in 2019, after not making any declaraciones for the ten years between 2009 and 2019. I had to show that my assets were below the threshold which would have created a libility to pay the tax during those years.

AFIP never sent me a notice that I had to do this. I went to their office after I was unable to download a constancia of my CUIL on-line which I needed to open a bank account in Punta Alta.
Steve - did you deliberately mention 'pension funds' (assets) instead of 'pension income'?

Steve - did you deliberately mention 'pension funds' (assets) instead of 'pension income'?
I specifically asked about both income from government and private pensions and the AFIP agent I spoke with told me they are both presently exempt from income taxes in Argentina.

We were only talkiing about taxes on pension income and not about taxes on the assets which produce the income and may or may not be owned by the recipient. AI am not sure at what point any foreign assets owned by the recipient would be subject to the bienes personales tax in Argentina.

That's something else I don't have to worry about...or pay.

If only it were true.

After posting regularly on this issue since 2020, recent progress in my own migration process meant the time had come to get to the bottom of the matter once and for all, so I contracted an expensive taxation lawyer here in Buenos Aires specialized in cross-border compliance. He confirmed what common sense and any careful reading of Argentina’s ganancias tax legislation has been telling us all along: overseas pensions are taxable in Argentina if the individual meets the criteria for Argentine tax residency, if the income is above Argentina’s minimum tax threshold, and if a double taxation agreement doesn’t give any relief.

But let’s not take his word for it, or our own reading of Argentina’s Spanish language taxation legislation. Let’s just look at the double taxation agreements for those countries that have them, all available in the official language of our home countries. https://www.afip.gob.ar/convenios-i...convenios-para-evitar-la-doble-imposicion.asp

If a pension drawn overseas by a foreigner who has become an Argentine tax resident were exempt from tax in Argentina, there would be no need for any Argentine double tax treaty with another country to include an article on pensions. But each does include such an article (amongst a range of separate articles for other income categories, e.g., dividends, rental income, employment income, etc.). And none of these pension articles says that the pension is only taxable in the country where it is drawn because Argentina exempts foreign pensions from tax. On the contrary, by setting out the rules by which a pensioner who has become an Argentine tax resident must determine in which of the two jurisdictions he or she must declare each year, these articles make clear that foreign pensions are taxable in Argentina (provding, of course, that the the amount meets the minimum threshold).

By the way, the tax lawyer confirms Lucky's hunch in the post above (and which echoes many claims many have made on the board in recent years that have never been verified): if your traceable electronic activity is modest and you don’t live too ostentatiously or “big”, AFIP do have bigger animals to hunt with more meat on the bone, so you’ll probably be fine.

Another useful tip I gleaned from the adviser (again something that has been speculated about on this board but never confirmed): if you have fallen into tax residency and are nervous about it, the way to correct it is to leave the country and then spend no more than 90 days back here over the following 365 days. That cures you of tax residency at the 365-day mark. But, if you spend more than 183 days in a subsequent 365 period in Argentina, you’re back where you started: a tax resident again.

Finally, he clarified in layman's language something that is quite poorly expressed in the ganancias law: the way for someone who is pursuing residency via Migraciones (e.g., as a rentista, or a pensionista, or various other categories) to avoid becoming a tax resident at least during the period leading up to permanent residency is to spend at least 90 days in each 12-month period of your residency process outside the country.
Hi Alby,

An insightful post. I'm curious, did your taxation lawyer have any comments about expats taking advantage of the recent "blanqueo de capitales" offer? It seems to apply to Argentines that moved tax residence and are being coaxed back to Argentina through this scheme. I'd be curious if any expats are taking advantage to declare anything.

Back