Popup AFIP control booths in your neighborhood?

2GuysInPM

Registered
So, last week our housekeeper was stopped by an AFIP agent on the street and questioned. She said they setup a control booth by one of the bridges in Puerto Madero for one day in the morning, and were stopping any women that "looked like" domestic workers walking into the neighborhood.

They were asking for their DNIs, and checking for records of "aportes" on the computer to make sure they were hired “en blanco”. She said they were very friendly, but when she tried to brush them off as she was walking, they were very, very insistent with her and that it would only take seconds. She was (or better said, WE were) fine as we’ve always had her en blanco and everything is in order. She was given a receipt stating everything was "ok" in case she came across another checkpoint later on.

Have you see these in your neighborhoods? I wonder how effective these checkpoints are and how many employers get caught and receive the certified letter from AFIP.
I remember they did this also in PM a few years back, but AFIP then had foot soldiers going to some residential buildings and questioning housekeepers that went in/out the gates.

they have been doing these "AFIP" shows ever since I have been here...all for show...i remember in the 90s an army of agents descended on small shops in Palermo, closed many of them, and then after a few days all were open again...

Not sure about the Control Booths, but AFIP officials descended upon the school that I work at last week, and went through the books - Doing what I did in Ireland for years - an audit, both of the financials, and the employees - again, without any problems -

Maybe they are just trying to get their house in order - A friend who works for them (in a different department to audit), has said that management are getting more professional in their approach to things and that maybe they will be taking a more prominent stance - or then again, it could be bluster with elections looming on the horizon.

Back in the 70s and early 80s there were tv ads (psa) with a cartoon showing a tank with the label on it (at that time it was called DGI instead of AFIP). The message was that anything would stop the agency on its work.

@ptolemy ha ha! thx

I figured it was a for show thing. Just wondering if they focus on particular neighborhoods only (which I imagine is the case). Anyways, our housekeeper was a bit startled by the whole thing.

Ha..........The biggest question now is what to disguise my maid as....

Hey lawyers on this site.... do they have the powers to do this and are we legally obligated to reply?

I've always been kind of curious whether the prefectura in puerto madero has less legal constraints than the normal police force because of the whole port - coastguard thing. I don't know anything, just crossed my mind occasionally.

TrevorCito said:
Hey lawyers on this site.... do they have the powers to do this and are we legally obligated to reply?

Can't really answer that concerning Argentina, but if it helps, in Ireland, I have more authority (as a Revenue Official - {read AFIP]) than the police in certain matters such as these - So in Ireland, yes the Officials have the power to stop and ask these questions, and I would expect the rules to be simiar here. But then again, this is Argentina, so who knows the reality.

Back