African-American life in BA

I get sick of people asking where I am from too. It never ends. Most guess from Brasil, France, Italy but I am from the USA. I have blonde hair and fit in well with the rest I guess, I think it's my accent.
I do remember before I moved here an Argentine was telling me how the Argentines dress better and are better educated than those from the states, and better looking. I was pretty put off and a litte intimidates upon arrival. I guess that's discrimimation against Yankees/gringos????
Argentines tend to ask allot of personal questions, where are you from, where do you work, what do you do, how much do you make, how much do you weigh, HOW OLD are you?????? I have had many look at me wierd because I did not work for a long time, like it was any of their business. They acted sort of angry that I did not. They get put off if they think you have too much money or they don't like people who don't have money, hahahaha. Sometimes I felt that if I was not a working lawyer, architect, MD or psychiatrist I was not fitting in.
Wow, I have not thought about all of this for a long time. Until reading this thread.
I guess no matter who you are or where you go you are going to come up against some kind of racism or problems or annoyances.

Also, I have no idea what the real meaning is here but when they say black people I have been told that means a type of person, not the actual skin color. Anybody of any color could be considered "black". But I'm not really sure what it means really after being here for so long... Does it mean poor, rude, uneducated, dishonest???? What does it really mean to the Argentine???????????????? But I don't really think it means black skin color. At least that's what they tell me. And on the other hand they use the term lovingly, like calling loved ones Negrita, Hey Negro............ So confusing.

hi, every one:
going on with this subject I have been sharing this suffering with my former girlfriend in 1994. She IS brazilian (actress Rae Down Chong looking) and worked on what alyb23 quoted... (I'm not shy but I prefer do not repeat that word) She IS and will be a wonderful woman but what got me upset was each idiot I had to face each time I used to walk hand in hand with her.
Sometimes, many times I had to refrain to say them: "what f... are you looking at, stupid....?
I can be local, but believe me... I use to suffer sometimes the same things you do!!!!!
best wishes.

dear syngirl:
I'm not obssesive but I printed some replies to read them in my workbreak and I can't stop laughing about your last paragraph... (Discrimantion kills...!!!!) You haven't miss the target, not even a milimeter. You are great!!!!
I really wish you well
regards.
Claudio.

Back