Airline Booking - Return ticket date?

Liam3494 said:
Absolutely NO problem - Don't be alarmed from tales that appear on here. I arrived from the US (although not a US citizen) on Continental, with a return ticked dated September 2010 - I was never asked anything by the airline, nor by immigration when I arrived. I have numerous frineds who have arrived since in exactly the same way, with return tickets some time ahead in the future, or even some without return flights at all.....

At worst, all you have to say if questioned is that you are travelling around South America, and will return to BsAs near the time of your booked flight - Don't get alarmed by the scaremongers on here, who have nothing better to do.....
Relayed my experience for a US Citizen departing from a US citiy on a US carrier: Atlanta. Offends me being labelled a "fearmonger." Would have a few choice words for yourself, but.......FU. I am outta here.

Dennis - I was not having a go at yourself, but there are NO requirements for airlines to check those details - Your experience may have been awkward from Delta ( I assume, given Atlanta), but they have no right to refuse you for a return flight over the Argentine Tourist Visa Limit - Again, all you have to say, if asked, is that you are travelling around South America, and will be returning from Buenos Airies in due course.

I have routinely bought tickets with return dates well beyond the Visa Limit for entry into countries - including the US. In fact my last arrival into the US was in November, from Europe, I was stamped with a 90 day Visa entry, and my return flight from that plane ticket is November 2010 - I wasn't asked for it, nor was I asked to show that I was flying onto Buenos Airies a few days later to show I was leaving the country.

As for scaremongering, there are some on here who delight on giving out "information" to potential new travellers, regarding a worst case scenario. There are hundreds of people who arrive here everyday who get no hassle from airlines or immigration, and I would suggest that this is far more the case than isolated incidents of over zelaous check in clerks, who should know better. A I say, if even asked, all you have to say is you are travelling around South America, as hundreds are doing as we debate the issue.

Some tickets/airlines will not sell you a ticket with a return date of further than 90 days out. I assume it has more to do with airline ticket restrictions than anything else.

I had the same experience with American Airlines in the last year but again, my understanding was that that specific ticket had to have the return portion utilized within 90 days and they did make a point of telling me that and that the return date HAD to be within 90 days. As it turns out, my biz trip back to the US got postponed and I just let the return portion expire (it was still cheaper than a 1 way) so I didn't much care.

So Denis' experience is not unique.

If the airline will sell the OP a ticket with a return date of 90 days+, then there are no worries, it's not an issue with Argentina.

I stand corrected CG on the airline policy - I have been flying for thirty yeras, and never been refused the purchase of a ticket with a return date in excess of 90 days - Flying on a regular basis thru the US (albeit never on American Airlines), usually with Continental, or Aer Lingus, and with return tickets from a two way trip well in excess of 90 days - But I live and learn.

Having said that - This has nothing to do with Argentine Immigration as you say.

I've been having problems myself with this. I bought a round trip ticket from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles back in July for departure in sep 09 and return to buenos aires jan 27 2010. Apparently there was no problem with me leaving, but now to get back into Argentina, they require a proof of ticket of onward travel outside of Argentina within 90 days to even get in.

I'm not quite sure what to do now, I have less than 24hours til my flight and now I miraculously need to come up with some sort of ticket showing me leaving.

Any suggestions? I was thinking possibly buy a refundable ticket back to USA which I can return after I enter the country (not sure how that works) or booking a trip to Colonia on Buquebus within 3 months, just not sure if it'd better if I booked just a one way or a return on the same day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I was trying to do my early check in with United. I got this message:

We cannot process your check-in. The destination country requires proof of onward or return travel. Please present your travel documents to a United representative at the airport.

I called and asked and they said I couldn't check in or even board the plane to leave the states without some sort of visa or a return ticket. I'm hoping a one way ticket colonia on colonia express 2 months away will suffice. They representative also told me they were following what is required at immigrations in Buenos Aires. I really don't want to go through all this hassle, but I guess I'll just book the colonia express tickets and hope for the best.

Man, it seems so much has changed this month for immigrations into Argentina!
clear.gif

Well, we've decided to play it "safe" and book tickets with a return flight within 90 days just so we don't get harassed by the airline. We plan to extend our stay, and our return date once it comes near.

The last time I was in BsAS (July 2007) I flew American Airlines and I was able to extend my flight by 1 week, very easily and in English, for about $100-150USD at the American Airlines office in Microcentral. Unfortunately, American Airlines ticket prices are very high right now for our dates.

LAN and Delta seem to have reasonable prices at the moment (even though the Delta website says an international return ticket change will probably set you back $250USD). Does anyone have any experience trying to change return flights using either of these airlines? Do they have easy-to-access office locations in Capital Federal?

Any feedback is appreciated.

candoman said:

We cannot process your check-in. The destination country requires proof of onward or return travel. Please present your travel documents to a United representative at the airport.

I called and asked and they said I couldn't check in or even board the plane to leave the states without some sort of visa or a return ticket. I'm hoping a one way ticket colonia on colonia express 2 months away will suffice. They representative also told me they were following what is required at immigrations in Buenos Aires. I really don't want to go through all this hassle, but I guess I'll just book the colonia express tickets and hope for the best.

clear.gif

Perhaps migraciones is just reacting to those who want to "move" here and teach English.

candoman said:

clear.gif

I am pretty sure proof of onward ticket means an actual plane ticket. This is an airline requirement. You should call them to verify though as they will refuse you to check-in if you violate their terms.
Buying some kind of boat ticket will most likely not work. If you can, buy a refundable return ticket from the same airline company. Good luck.

Oh, and you should have created a new thread and put the word urgent in the subject.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps migraciones is just reacting to those who want to "move" here and teach English.

It's an airline requirement, not an immigration issue.

Back