Airline Booking - Return ticket date?

orwellian said:
It's an airline requirement, not an immigration issue.

So what?

Why does anyone think they should be able to come to Argentina (or any foreign country) without the proof of onward travel?

Argentina is a sovereign nation.

Why do so many foreigners lack respect for this fact?

Their days may indeed be numbered....especially if the next time they "leave" the country they are told they cannot return of a period of months. (Just like the US.)

What does being a sovereign nation have to do with having proof of an onward ticket?

orwellian said:
What does being a sovereign nation have to do with having proof of an onward ticket?

The airlines have to respect the immigration laws of the countries that their passengers are visiting....

Or they may have to return those passengers that are denied entry to the original point of departure.

Argentine migraciones has the right to demand proof of onward travel (as well as financial solvency).

steveinbsas said:
The airlines have to respect the immigration laws of the countries that their passengers are visiting....

Or they may have to return those passengers that are denied entry to the point of departure.

Yes but it might not be a law here in Argentina because some airlines do not require it. And when a passenger is deported, the airline is fined so that's why they are so anal about it.

If it isn't a law, I seriously doubt it could be enforced...

Perhaps it's just a policy....just like migraciones (regarding perma-tourists).

The airlines can refuse you to check-in. Which have happened to several people in this thread.

OK - Lets get this straight - There is No Law that says you have to have onward travel when you arrive in ANY country. I have been travelling internationally for 30 plus years - more if you count as a child, and have never had to prove onward travel. On many occassions I havent had any, as I don't know how long I will stay in one place/country when I arrive. I like to travel, and a lot depends on how much fun I have been having in one place, before moving on.

With the availability to purchase tickets on the internet for all sorts of travel these days, including most airlines, the need to actually have a ticket for onward travel, some months before it might be needed, seems arcane.

As I said earlier, on this trip, I have a return ticket, with Continental, for September this year, although I will be leaving Argentine in May for a month, (on a different airline - TAM, return, via Brazil) heading back to Europe, so I won't be falling foul of Argentine Immigration, or abusing the system in any way shape or form - and no, I am not teaching English! I am perfectly legally here on a Tourist 90 Day Visa, again, to be quite legally extended for 90 days - That is The Law here - You are 100% allowed to renew the 90 Day Visa, as I will be doing in a couple of weeks -

So, if the Law here says you can enter the country on a 90 day Tourist Visa, and extend that for a further 90 days (and not simply by heading to Colonia!), how can the airlines dictate to the consumer that they have to have a ticket valid for travel within 90 days? Seems more like a commercial decision, rather than an immigration one.

Steve - Out if Interest, What are you talking about when you say that the US says you cannot come back to the US for a certain period after you leave?

JoeKelly711 said:
Well, we've decided to play it "safe" and book tickets with a return flight within 90 days just so we don't get harassed by the airline. We plan to extend our stay, and our return date once it comes near.

The last time I was in BsAS (July 2007) I flew American Airlines and I was able to extend my flight by 1 week, very easily and in English, for about $100-150USD at the American Airlines office in Microcentral. Unfortunately, American Airlines ticket prices are very high right now for our dates.

LAN and Delta seem to have reasonable prices at the moment (even though the Delta website says an international return ticket change will probably set you back $250USD). Does anyone have any experience trying to change return flights using either of these airlines? Do they have easy-to-access office locations in Capital Federal?

By the way, I called orbitz and they said I could not change the return flight once my departing flight was completed, so I have to book directly with the airlines if I want to be able to change the return flight while I am in Argentina.

Back