Airport fees

Franklin

Registered
On top of this new visa money charged for US residents are they still charging the exit fees at EZE? The US has no exit fees.

What exit fee?
I have flown into EZE at least 4 times a year for the last 3 years- and never been charged any kind of exit fee.

Maybe its my red shoes...

Ries said:
What exit fee?
I have flown into EZE at least 4 times a year for the last 3 years- and never been charged any kind of exit fee.

They don't charge the exit fee when you fly into EZE...only when you fly out of EZE.

Recently, a few members have posted that it's now being included in the cost of the ticket.

Those fees theoretically go toward airport maintenance and paying for all those security screenings.

Don't kid yourself, Franklin, the U.S absolutely charges them, they're just lumped into the cost of the ticket (if you look at the break-down of fees next time you buy airfare you'll see it listed, plus a September 11 additional fee).

A lot of the time that fee is charged with the ticket here. You can ask when you check in, or you can just look at your boarding pass - if the fee was included in the cost of your ticket they will affix a sticker to the ticket letting the security folks know that the fee has been paid and you can continue on your way. (I'm not sure how that works with e-tickets though...)

Ries said:
What exit fee?

Check your ticket breakdown next time you buy one (American will show you) -- it's included in your ticket -- it's $18 USD I believe, maybe $26. You will have been charged it every time you flew. It used to be charged at the airport directly, then they switched to putting it directly into your ticket.

The exit fee is now added to the final cost of the ticket. Airlines are applying a sticker with a bar code to the boarding pass so that before you go to the secure area they scan it.

OH- he means Airport Tax.

No, they include it in the ticket price now. Which is much nicer than having to wait in line.

Airport taxes are far from unique to Argentina- its just that in most places, like the USA, they have been included in the ticket price for a long time.
The US sometimes calls it a "International Departure Tax", and everytime you fly out of the USA, you pay it.
Its $15.40 now, I believe.
http://www.airlines.org/economics/taxes/IntlDepartureArrivalTaxes.htm

They just hide it better in the US, but you are paying it.

I have been in a variety of other countries over the years that did it the old way, though- that made you pay at the exit gate before boarding the plane.
I believe that Peru and Venezuela still do this, for example, and Thailand did it for a long time.
Here is a list of various places- not sure how current it is, but it says Greece is 12 euros, and Ghana is $50 US, for example.

http://www.amerispan.com/travel/article/Don_t_Forget_about_Departure_Tax_when_Studying_Abroad_/241

It is now included in the ticket. Nearly every western country has a similar tax, it is generally included in the ticket price, but you are paying it. In Europe it can approach EUROS 50 in some counties.

Does anyone know what happens after you pay the new visa money in terms of entering and re entering the country every 3 months? I came back to Buenos Aires after being in the States for the holidays on the 26th of December. I am pretty sure I missed paying the fee by 1 day, haha. Because a friend came to visit 2 days after and had to pay the fee. Instead of the typical stamp and the "90 day tourist" stamp, He had a huge white stamp that took up a whole page on his passport, but made no mention of 90 days.

The fee is good for 10 years. So next time you enter, you will have to pay it but then you won't have to pay it again for 10 years. The sticker has the dates that it is valid from/to on it.

Back