Alberto will not run for second term

Quilombo

Registered
Article for those interested

Is anyone surprised? He was going to lose his own party's primary, and his approval ratings make most world leaders look loved in contrast.

Arguably one of the most incompetent and ineffective leaders the country has had, but I will give him credit for at least indirectly admitting his tenure was a failure, even if his sycophants are framing it as anything but.

What's everyone else's thought?

I would like him to step down now, forcing the K's hands; so a K (De Pedro? La Jefa? El Hijo?) is in power until the elections (to remove the foreseeable "Ah pero Alberto" litany)

I would like him to step down now, forcing the K's hands; so a K (De Pedro? La Jefa? El Hijo?) is in power until the elections (to remove the foreseeable "Ah pero Alberto" litany)
They're gonna Menem him: "He wasn't really a Peronist..."

It's been incredible watching Maximo rail against his admin recently, like, my brother in Christ, your mother, the leader of the Ks is literally his Veep, she's not a hostage, if this isn't what your movement wants she should have left.

They're gonna Menem him: "He wasn't really a Peronist..."

It's been incredible watching Maximo rail against his admin recently, like, my brother in Christ, your mother, the leader of the Ks is literally his Veep, she's not a hostage, if this isn't what your movement wants she should have left.
It is very interesting to see what is going to happen, from an individual's perspective in the Peronist party. We can assume that things will get much worse in the months to come:

Alberto: what's in it for him to stay in power as a lame duck until December (the Ks will keep torturing him). He will go down as a one of the worst presidents ever anyway. But stepping down now he could sell it as something in the interest of the greater good ("Primero la Patria!")
Massa: he knows if he stays as Economy minister, he will have to bury his political ambitions to become president once and for all. So I ask myself why is not stepping down now and put the blame on god knows what (obviously something external, like the war in Ukraine, drought, Macri etc.)
CFK: Under no circumstances she will take over now, unless she is forced to do exactly that by Alberto. Taking over power in this situation will make her reelection later this year even more unlikely
Maximo: I think he knows the Peronists will lose later this year, and he might already be looking at 2027. He is fairly young, so time is on his side.
De Pedro: given his reluctance to make campaign speeches in the public, he probably see this as an opportunity to become president through the back door (if only for a few months).

Overall I think the Campora and Ks will have an interest that Alberto stays in Olivos until his mandate ends.

disagree. At least for symbolism-sake, I think is good that as elected president he finishes his mandate.

And no, I am not surprised at all. Not only his chances were nill, also he has little real power left.

Last edited:
disagree. At least for symbolism-sake, I think is good that as elected president he finishes his mandate.

And no, I am not surprised at all. Not only his chances were nill, also he has little real power left.
Yes, he said December 2 is the 40th anniversary of the return to democracy here, and he intends to hand over to the next elected president. It's important to set a marker for democracy and an orderly transition to a new government, not just in Argentina, nor even in the region, but in all of the Americas.

As for his presidency... crushed by reality, I think. He inherited an unserviceable debt, the pandemic came out of nowhere, the drought and war in Ukraine are just the icing on the whole miserable cake. The debt is being kicked down the road, the initial management of the pandemic was good, informed by medical knowledge at the time, and saved many lives, though he faltered later on, and there isn't really a way to handle a 3-year drought or the consequences of the war with nothing in the bank. So his power ebbed away, and so did his moral authority with mis-steps from partying in Olivos during the pandemic to random unthinking outbursts. He may not have been a credit to the office of president, but he wasn't the worst.

It is very interesting to see what is going to happen, from an individual's perspective in the Peronist party. We can assume that things will get much worse in the months to come:

Alberto: what's in it for him to stay in power as a lame duck until December (the Ks will keep torturing him). He will go down as a one of the worst presidents ever anyway. But stepping down now he could sell it as something in the interest of the greater good ("Primero la Patria!")
Massa: he knows if he stays as Economy minister, he will have to bury his political ambitions to become president once and for all. So I ask myself why is not stepping down now and put the blame on god knows what (obviously something external, like the war in Ukraine, drought, Macri etc.)
CFK: Under no circumstances she will take over now, unless she is forced to do exactly that by Alberto. Taking over power in this situation will make her reelection later this year even more unlikely
Maximo: I think he knows the Peronists will lose later this year, and he might already be looking at 2027. He is fairly young, so time is on his side.
De Pedro: given his reluctance to make campaign speeches in the public, he probably see this as an opportunity to become president through the back door (if only for a few months).

Overall I think the Campora and Ks will have an interest that Alberto stays in Olivos until his mandate ends.
Not sure if you had seen this before posting...

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 16.14.11.png

And I concur with most of your sentiments, and I think he's more useful serving as the sacrificial lamb; everything wrong/bad can be his fault, whether it's now, whether it's further economic destruction, and (hopefully) when the Ks ultimately lose they can blame him too saying it was Alberto's fault.

I already saw it from the delusional Ks I keep as a friend on social media, he thinks this paves the path for Cristina's return, but I honestly don't think she's going to run because things are only going to get worse from here, the dollar went from $400 to $455 already in 5 days, and inflation is already being forecasted up because of this for April.

So his power ebbed away, and so did his moral authority with mis-steps from partying in Olivos during the pandemic to random unthinking outbursts. He may not have been a credit to the office of president, but he wasn't the worst.
I was thinking about this today, I really hope Fabiola leaves him for her sake. He threw her under the bus for nothing, nobody bought it and it just made him look like the asshole he is.

The man is proof that being a teacher doesn't make one smart. As for his tenure, I say we judge him with the metric he suggested:

"Prefiero tener el 10% más de pobres y no 100 mil muertos en la Argentina."

Well Alberto, you managed to accomplish both, and some.

70% of kids now live in poverty, 40% of all Argentines, 10% live in indigence. He managed to reduce the minimum wage from $242.80/month the day Macri left office to $181.76/month today (remember, the president can raise the minimum wage via proclamation in Argentina, and he choses to let people get poorer). The dollar went from $69.50 to who knows, people are seriously talking about the elimination of the peso come December, and inflation went from 54% in 2019 to, at a minimum, 103% for this year.

This is his legacy, and while it could have been worse, the bar was pretty damn low considering we had presidents like Perons and the Junta that literally had people killed/disappeared.

the Ks absolutely will put blame on Alberto. it's how they operate, never mind that he was never the one really in charge anyway with reina batata as VP

We can discuss Alberto's "inheritance" over good wine. But unlucky he was not: soybean prices dipped notably during Macri's tenure and recovered during Alberto's.
And BTW...during De la Rua time soybean was at about 400-500 usd/bushel...

Screenshot_20230421-183331.png

Last edited:
Waowww, I may have been wrong! Milei might actually win after all. However, I still think Larreta will win... for now. Peronism is obviously going to lose this election, but that will benefit them in the long run.

Back